Water Leak | Page 34 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

nchggb,

I just got a call back from the service center. They fixed my leak (so they say). That was on the third row passenger side. The guy mentioned something about a seal near the sun/moon roof. Don't recall the exact wording. I had another leak two years ago on the third row driver's side. It was traced back to a seal on the roof rack. They fixed that and it hasn't leaked since.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Dealer thinks they have the leak fixed. Both side seams at the rear hatch. They had to jack the rear end up to get the water in the hatch channel to stand like a heavy rain to get it to leak. Waiting for the next rain to see if it stays dry. Rusted 3 rd row seat parts were replaced.

...I just got a call back from the service center. They fixed my leak (so they say). That was on the third row passenger side. The guy mentioned something about a seal near the sun/moon roof...

Dealer thinks they have the leak fixed. Both side seams at the rear hatch...

I'm glad to see your dealerships took care of you, atoledo and thunderroad357. Let us know what you think of the repair; don't hesitate to contact me if you need my assistance. :thumbsup:

Crystal

Add me to the list for this problem. I am glad I got the extended warranty because I am at 40k miles. I will have my dealer look at it when/if my A/C blower motor part ever comes in. The part has been on back order for 5 months now. I am getting close to selling my Explorer and not buying a Ford ever again. I have been a loyal Ford owner for 25 years.

Add me to the list for this problem. I am glad I got the extended warranty because I am at 40k miles. I will have my dealer look at it when/if my A/C blower motor part ever comes in. The part has been on back order for 5 months now. I am getting close to selling my Explorer and not buying a Ford ever again. I have been a loyal Ford owner for 25 years.

Just so you are not blindsided, here is what a Ford ESP does NOT cover..

Components and Repairs
Not Covered by PremiumCARE
Buttons, carpet, clamps, dash pad, door and window handles, knobs, trim, upholstery, CNG/LPG components, tires, water leaks, wind noise, weatherstrips, fabric, liners, zippers and fasteners

Just so you are not blindsided, here is what a Ford ESP does NOT cover.. Components and Repairs Not Covered by PremiumCARE Buttons, carpet, clamps, dash pad, door and window handles, knobs, trim, upholstery, CNG/LPG components, tires, water leaks, wind noise, weatherstrips, fabric, liners, zippers and fasteners

Perfect!

My new XLT has water leaks (minor, not a lot of water) in 3 different places. Both passenger side doors, but only in the area covered by sheet metal that is painted (the area you step over to enter the car). The other place is the left rear strut thing that helps open the tailgate. Just some droplets in all cases. I'm thinking maybe the seals need to be replaced, or realigned. I'll address it with our dealer at the first oil change. It's kind of disappointing but nothing like what you guys are talking about with the roof rails.

Sounds like the rubber seals on the two doors are not sealing properly thus allowing some water to get to the door sills. This water is likely from the spray thrown up by the front wheel. Do you have splash guards? They may help but not totally eliminate this issue. Good move to have the dealer check it out.

Peter

Peter K9, it does sound exactly like that. But the only time I noticed was during a heavy rainstorm when I'd already parked the car for the evening. Still, I will keep a lookout in case that is a problem (the lower door seals not working correctly). I knew when I described it, it would sound off, but I really didn't notice overhead droplets beading down on that area. I'm kind of at a loss to figure out why the specific areas are a problem. As a matter of fact, I told my husband tonight that before I bring it in for an oil change, I'll put masking tape on the exact areas where I saw droplets. The tailgate I understand, but these door seals are a mystery.

My new XLT has water leaks (minor, not a lot of water) in 3 different places. Both passenger side doors, but only in the area covered by sheet metal that is painted (the area you step over to enter the car). The other place is the left rear strut thing that helps open the tailgate. Just some droplets in all cases. I'm thinking maybe the seals need to be replaced, or realigned. I'll address it with our dealer at the first oil change. It's kind of disappointing but nothing like what you guys are talking about with the roof rails.

Unfortunately these 2 areas (sounds like) are where water will appear on any car.(?)

The area of metal at the door, prior to the scuff plate, is under the lower door pocket and seal when the door is fully closed. The seal has drain holes in it and water will aways appear here, as well as from splashing up.

It can take time to drain out, there is a lot of water sitting on the roof of any large SUV and when you park it,
if its level it wont go anywhere for a while.
If its parked tilted back or front, it will drain down the door water channels eventually, as well as the rear or front.

The lift arm area of the tailgate and continuing all the way around the top and to the other side, this entire area is outside the seal and is a large water channel, draining to the bottom.

Another water issue that cant be avoided on the Ex -1 day on a Mercedes SUV - I noticed a nice S curve in the body panel up above the rear doors-this channels water from the roof so it goes into the door channels, instead of spilling into the car.
The Ex - after or during a rain, and you open the doors to get out or etc, roof and door water will drip right onto the scuff plates in the front and rear doors - the rear doors it will drip into the car just past the scuff plate onto the carpet.

If you dont notice it, it only does it that 1st time the door is opened - after that the excess water from the roof edge or door top has gone inside your car and it wont again until you repeat this scenario. -Many times there will be water on the scuff plate or the metal edge outside of the scuff plate.

One thing to see - pull the rubber hose out of the hole above the lift arm-is it wet? Any water in the hose? Shake it a bit and you will see.

Mine is a 3rd row drivers side leaker and there was water in the hose.
HTF it got in there I dont know.
Potentially it leaked in from the roof rail and ran into the hose on its way down.
(See my close up pics further down this post.)

The door doesn't exactly seal tight at the very bottom edge. There is another thicker black rubber seal that is supposed to seal off the door and cabin. Using my photo for reference, that white part of the door sill is not sealed off by that rubber gasket and will accumulate some debris.

Peter

Attachments

• DSC_0426_001.JPG
    DSC_0426_001.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 524

...and in winter, that lets in freezing cold air around all the doors...

Peter and Luker, thanks for your detailed replies. I have only had sedans (Camry and Civic), and an old Wrangler. None of them ever had any water intrusion, or none that I noticed.

I got a leak in my 03 XLT on the passenger side. It's not that bad of a leak unless it's covered in snow or a terrible rain storm. I'll probably figure out where it's at tomorrow.

They had to jack the rear end of my Explorer up about a foot to get the leak to show. They said the seam by rear hinges about a 1/2" above the bottom of the rain chanel that runs across the roof in front of the tail gate was not sealed properly. A hose would not fill the channel with enough water to leak. By lifting the rear the chanel held more water and the leak was found. Tilting the front down simulated a heavy rain and filled the channel enough to get it to leak with the hose. Both sides leaked in the area by the hing. Now if I just find the rattle they left in the 3rd row seat when they replaced the rusted parts.

We have a 2013 limited. Water gets into the spare tire well.
The carpets are all dry on top, but are wet under the carpets toward the 3rd row seats about 6" toward the front, from spare tire well.
I had to pull the plugs under the spare tire to get all the water out from a rain we had this past Sunday. Every where else seems dry.

We have about 12,000 miles on car, purchased August of 2012. What to do?

Thanks
Jay

Take it to the dealer. Unfortunately now that it is dry, they may not do anything. If the don't, next time it happens, I suggest that you leave the water in there. You can also send a Private Message to Crystal (FordService) to she if there is anything she can do to help right now. You can use this link to send her a PM;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/private.php?do=newpm&u=157968
When you PM, be sure to include your full name, best daytime phone number, VIN, mileage, and servicing dealership in your message.
Good luck.

Peter

Going on two and a half years and ford cannot fix my water leak in my explorer. At my wits end! Now the are going to call in a Ford technician. What a waste of money this truck was. Ford doesn't give 2 shi%'s about its customers.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After three weeks of smelling a pungent musty smell every time I open car door to get in I have found water. While the carpet itsself was not wet, the fiber material under the carpet in the cargo area where the spare is located is soaked. It seems to be only the left side. Very disappointed. Now for the remedy...... I guess its off to the dealer tomorrow. Vehicle is 1 year 4 months old with 20,000 miles. Still love the vehicle, hoping this is simple.

Back