• Register Today It's free!

Water Leak

Tom VanSteenvoort

Reaction score
City, State
Auburn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 ford explorer
Found my 2020 explorer tire compartment full of water, last night it frozed and condensation formed inside of car. As i was driving water was dripping on me from the sunroof. Car is smelling like mold. What do i do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is the carpet behind your third row seat wet?

Take it to the dealer.

Found my 2020 explorer tire compartment full of water, last night it frozed and condensation formed inside of car. As i was driving water was dripping on me from the sunroof. Car is smelling like mold. What do i do.
Welcome to the Forum Tom.:wave:
This was an issue on several of the 5th gen. EXplorers. In most of those cases the water entered by way of the roof rail mounts. Others were due to cracks in the body around the liftgate. As with anything like this, take it to the dealer as blwnsmoke stated. The vehicle is under warranty. Please report back. THanks.

Peter

Sloshing sound inside Explorer ST. Have you checked your SPARE Tire well?
I suspected I had a leaky Right Rear Quarter panel window and spoke to the local dealer about it. Service Manager hadn't heard about any such issues, though he had another ST coming in for the same complaint, he'd schedule mine after our upcoming SoDak trip. While on the trip, discovered I had a very annoying high pitch whine (Really, it wasn't me) in that same area, then while driving down some washboard dirt roads in the Badlands, heard a constant creak/squeek/damn annoying sound. Had my wife drive with me in the far back and nothing I put pressure on including pushing pretty hard on the RR1/4 window would stop that squeek. So After cleaning off some of them there crickets (see pic below)
1646-900e40759c16f85f5be89e74ac150b98.jpg

We found the trail of water in that quarter window leading down to a ...
1647-64f5a64e6c82c0fda9f852b604628c1f.jpg

.very wet Spare tire well pad
1648-e4442c1cdbf20a3f9e7c3298f4b13151.jpg

All drying in the sun now, back to the dealer
There are other posts from a ST Owner whose spare tire well had 2 - 3 inches of water in it.

The 5th generation had several water leak issues as well. The most common being water dripping down the 3rd row seat belt caused by a leak from the roof rail mounting point. Is that post regarding the 2-3 inches of water on this forum?

Peter

Peter, Sorry it was on a FB page. Though wouldn't several inches of water in the well cause the sloshing sounds inside

Discovered a minor version of what's described here, inadvertently started a different thread at
Water Leak

Peter, Sorry it was on a FB page. Though wouldn't several inches of water in the well cause the sloshing sounds inside
It could but the thread you initially posted in had to do with the fuel tank when full.

Peter

Any update on this issue Tom?

Peter

Turns out (for my case) it was the Sunroof Right Rear Drain tube improperly installed / kinked that was allowing water into the pax compartment way back. Corrected today by my local dealer, no water in the wayback any more.

Turns out (for my case) it was the Sunroof Right Rear Drain tube improperly installed / kinked that was allowing water into the pax compartment way back. Corrected today by my local dealer, no water in the wayback any more.
I have a 2020 Ford Explorer XLT that had the same issue. I had noticed for months the sloshing sound and condensation on the inside of the vehicle. I finally took it to the dealer after mold formed on the carpet between the 2nd & 3rd rows. After 2 days of looking for the leak I was told there was a grommet missing inside the body behind the left rear taillight that was allowing water to get into the spare tire well.

We were given another 2020 Explorer XLT as a loaner. There was a downpour over the next few days and guess what....water sloshing now in the loaner. We returned the first loaner and were given another...then heard sloshing in that one as well. I filled the fuel tank up all the way in the 2nd loaner and still heard the noise.

I have no idea what this is but it seems like Ford either has a problem here or has cheapened up their soundproofing and everyone is hearing what they previously were unable to with better built vehicles.

.........................................................................................I filled the fuel tank up all the way in the 2nd loaner and still heard the noise.

I have no idea what this is but it seems like Ford either has a problem here or has cheapened up their soundproofing and everyone is hearing what they previously were unable to with better built vehicles.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
See this thread; Sloshing sound with full tank

Peter

I'd also first check the spare tire wheel well, before the drain tube was corrected, the spare tire well had over 6 inches of water in it after the first deluge, and that water would have sloshed constantanly. (It was a blessing that that spare tire well was so well sealed that it held all that sloshing water well.)

Sloshing sound inside Explorer ST. Have you checked your SPARE Tire well?
I suspected I had a leaky Right Rear Quarter panel window and spoke to the local dealer about it. Service Manager hadn't heard about any such issues, though he had another ST coming in for the same complaint, he'd schedule mine after our upcoming SoDak trip. While on the trip, discovered I had a very annoying high pitch whine (Really, it wasn't me) in that same area, then while driving down some washboard dirt roads in the Badlands, heard a constant creak/squeek/damn annoying sound. Had my wife drive with me in the far back and nothing I put pressure on including pushing pretty hard on the RR1/4 window would stop that squeek. So After cleaning off some of them there crickets (see pic below)
View attachment 319964
We found the trail of water in that quarter window leading down to a ...
View attachment 319965
.very wet Spare tire well pad
View attachment 319966
All drying in the sun now, back to the dealer
There are other posts from a ST Owner whose spare tire well had 2 - 3 inches of water in it.
Just found the same thing happening in our 2020 ST along with front passenger leaks all over the floor.

Just found the same thing happening in our 2020 ST along with front passenger leaks all over the floor.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
If the "sloshing" isn't due to water in the footwell perhaps it is water in the doors? Water in the footwell is usually associated with blocked or disconected moonroof drains.

Peter

In most of those cases the water entered by way of the roof rail mounts. Others were due to cracks in the body around the liftgate.

In most of those cases the water entered by way of the roof rail mounts. Others were due to cracks in the body around the liftgate.
Leaks from those areas usually resulted in water pooling in the spare tire well, not the footwell. The leak from the roof rails in most cases would have the water dripping down the 3rd row seat belt.

Peter

Back