water leaking in from roof/back window | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

water leaking in from roof/back window

kcbme

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 sport trac 4x2
Hey everyone, so here is the situation. I used 2 find water under the trim pieces in the channels on the floor where the wires are ran when I was installing my audio equipment and wondered how it was getting there but kind of forgot about it. I have since removed all the rear plastic trim and instead of running down the back trim to the channels on the floor the water is dripping directly onto my sub woofer box! I will post up some pictures of where it's coming from. It drips down right where the 2 pieces of metal meet, circled in red and I'm not sure where to begin on fixing it. If it's the window seal or somewhere from the roof. Thanks sorry for the long read
2014-06-28%2000.36.09.jpg
2014-06-28%2000.36.42.jpg
2014-06-28%2000.37.03.jpg
20140627_165154.jpg
20140627_165135.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine is doing the same thing. I think its getting in under those 2 pieces of trim on the roof. which allows it to get behind the seal of the window.

That's what it looked like to me too. I have no idea how to fix this, I guess I can go caulk crazy and just see if that helps any

Main leak areas on the ST's are from the third brake light and the roof racks. I had leaks from both. I used 3M double sided tape to seal the third brake light and windshield caulking to seal the bolt holes for the roof racks. Just remove the bolts holding the racks on, clean up the area and seal the complete channel under the racks and especially the bolt holes.

Main leak areas on the ST's are from the third brake light and the roof racks. I had leaks from both. I used 3M double sided tape to seal the third brake light and windshield caulking to seal the bolt holes for the roof racks. Just remove the bolts holding the racks on, clean up the area and seal the complete channel under the racks and especially the bolt holes.
OK I will give that a try, how did u use the tape on the 3rd brake light? Take it off then put tape all the way around the edge and put back on, or tape it while it's still on. It's been pouring rain the last 2 days so the trucks been covered with a tarp but I will try once it stops.

I removed the brake light housing, place the tape around the edges, trim the excess and place it back on the truck, bolt it back on and haven't had any leaks for seven years.

OK and on the roof racks I just take out the bolts and caulk where the bolt will be going and put the bolt back in? Thanks for the help hope this fixes it.

Unbolt the roof racks, remove the racks, caulk anywhere there is factory seam sealer is and around the bolt holes.

Alright thanks! Will report back with results

roof leaks

I had water getting into the interior from the sun/moon roof drain being disconnected. It could also be plugged up near the sun/moon roof. Mine was disconnected behind the rear drivers side seat. Removed seats and interior trim to get to it. Used 3m trim adhesive to reattach the tube to the fitting that drains to the outside of the cab. Have had no issues since.

I had water getting into the interior from the sun/moon roof drain being disconnected. It could also be plugged up near the sun/moon roof. Mine was disconnected behind the rear drivers side seat. Removed seats and interior trim to get to it. Used 3m trim adhesive to reattach the tube to the fitting that drains to the outside of the cab. Have had no issues since.
My sport trac does not have a sun/moon roof so I dont think that's the problem but I could see how that could cause a leak.

I sealed all the roof rack bolts and the 3rd brake light and am letting it dry for a day then I am going to use the hose or a car wash and try and see if it stopped the water leak:thumbsup:

It rained today and it only leaked like 2 or 3 drips in an hour so much better but I am going 2 try sealing the plastic trim pieces that run under the roof rack 2 the window it could be leaking there

I have a 2007 Limited ST. everyday it rains at 3-4 pm and at night. . .here in Florida and I noticed 1" of water in the tray behind the rear driver seat (just above the cubby). Further investigation found leaking all across the back not from the rear window but up in the roof. I removed the strip panel but can not locate the source of the water as it is coming in along the whole edge. Leaking multiple places. . .

I will plan to check out the 3rd brakelight once we get a dry day.

Back