• Register Today It's free!

water out the of the tailpipe

oldbustedblue

Reaction score
City, State
west valley,utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 mazda navajo
every explorer and navajo that i have owned have water out of the tailpipe also i have yet to own one that the muffler and pipes dont rust out. any ideas to try and get it to stop. new exhaust every other year seems to be a little fast to have them rust out.thinking this time to have the exhaust done from front to back. also wondering what would be a good choice for a muffler and cat this time thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you always drive short distances?

If the exhaust system doesn't get hot enough, the water vapor in the exhaust condenses inside and causes it to rust. Stainless steel might be a better replacement

If its rusting your exhaust out, I'm guessing you make quite a few short trips. When the engine and exhaust are cold, condensation forms. It takes about 10-15 minutes to warm it up enough to burn away all the water, and that short term water doesn't really have a harmful effect. If it never really gets up to operating temp though, that water just sits and sits and rusts right through the pipes. You could always go full stainless, or just drive for longer periods of time.

Also, odds are, if your driving time is short enough to rust your exhaust, you're headed towards major engine problems. The same condensation effect happens inside the engine too, and if it never runs hot enough for long enough than you get large amounts of sludge build up. Have you ever noticed a milky white sludge in your oil?

Ahh, you beat me!

I would recommend a Gibson stainless steel cat-back system. I managed to bolt one on without much trouble. Sounds great too. Just hit the bolts after the cat converter with WD-40 or PB Blaster if you want to have any hope of getting them off without cutting them.

just replaced the motor in the navajo 6 months ago i have only put 12000miles in the last 5 years on it but when it is driven taken to moab and back usually.it never had head gasket problems. my 93 explorer i just got had blown head gaskets when i bought it. 2 complete exhaust systems this month is going to hurt the pocket book. but i guess you have to pay to play.

Zap a hole in the bottom/rear of the muffler with a drill so it can expel condensation. It will last longer that way.

as the rest have said. Short runs are very bad for exhaust systems. I believe the Explorer muffler does have a small hole on the Cat side for drainage.
Stainless will really Break the Bank... Use Anti Sieze when assembling the exhaust system, drive long distances once a week, if you can and at least the exhaust will loosen up easy when you replace it.

well i just paid the exhaust shop today 1200 all new piping from the exhaust manifolds back. i think 600 a piece with a lifetime warranty. was not to bad. since my old Acura was 800. but still confused though since the navajo is honestly used a hand full of times a year.mainly hunting and fishing with an average 400 to 600 miles round trip.

well i just paid the exhaust shop today 1200 all new piping from the exhaust manifolds back. i think 600 a piece with a lifetime warranty. was not to bad. since my old Acura was 800. but still confused though since the navajo is honestly used a hand full of times a year.mainly hunting and fishing with an average 400 to 600 miles round trip.

You just answered your question. The pipes never dry out with such little use.
If the car sits that long, you may want to put a bag over the tailpipe to keep mice out. They WILL go in there. Nesting and mouse urine will also kill an exhaust.

I agree with wood1 take and drill a small hole in the bottom of the muffler at the end that sits the lowest so that any condensation can drain out and that will help a lot.

well i just paid the exhaust shop today 1200 all new piping from the exhaust manifolds back.
Wow did you get jacked!

i don"t think it is all that bad i am sure that some of you have seen the price of some of cat backs i replaced everything from front to back new y pipes new cats new mufflers the whole thing. cat was shot on the explorer from the head gaskets going. and on the navajo it was shot from bouncing it off of rocks tree stumps most of the guts were gone. now time to start the suspension.and steering.

I had my last muffler and exhaust installed by a Pro-Tech automotive (NAPA) shop. Mine is a 91 Ex and this is about my 4th muffler and exhaust. I never lost a muffler or an exhaust pipe, but my resonator kept rusting out. This last time, I got stainless pipe and muffler and had them keep the resonator out. No more rust and a better sound.

My mother had this same problem on her Toyota car. Every year and half to two year’s new muffler and tail pipe. The most she normally drives is about 2 or 3 miles each way and the car sits for at lest an hour or more at the half way mark. The shop that did the muffler and tail pipe always replaced them under warranty and the last time they did so with there top of the line all aluminum parts. That has been over 5 years ago now and no more rust threw. So as many have said it’s a matter of how far you drive and getting it all warm enough to dry out all condensation and water vapor as just running the motor puts out some condensation.
Also as said if your driving can not be changed then the kind of parts you use should be as it’s also an indicator of what would fall under saver service too boot too.

Back