Water pump and rear main seal leak on 85xxx miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump and rear main seal leak on 85xxx miles

Anthonylav32

Reaction score
City, State
Osecola,Pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
17 Explorer XLT Sport 3.5
Has anyone had their water pump go yet? I just bought mine from a dealer and the water pump started leaking and the rear main seal they said, idk how at 85xxx miles..? anyone?

Welcome to the forum. I cannot answer your question since all of the Explorers we have had were 99's or older with the 4.0 engines. Someone here should be able to answer your question.

Has anyone had their water pump go yet? I just bought mine from a dealer and the water pump started leaking and the rear main seal they said, idk how at 85xxx miles..? anyone?
Welcome to the Forum Anthony. :wave:
Unfortunately, it is an issue that many have encountered. Water pump failure leads to dead engine
There are several additional threads on the issue. You can find more by using the Search feature at the upper right. Search for water pumps in threads.
Check the oil on the dipstick to see if it is a 'milky' colour (contaminated). My suggestion is to park it and have it towed to a dealership.
Perhaps this is why the previous owner got rid of it.
Good luck.

Peter

Ours lasted to 96k miles. Did the obligatory "timing chain replacement" at the same time. :mad:

Back