Water pump bolt broke off!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump bolt broke off!!

Summajet

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Mercury Mountaineer
I was removing my failed Water pump and the top left bolt broke off. It has the full thread inside. I got all of them removed except for the broken one. What is the best way to remove it being that it is broken off and has no visible threads to grab onto????
I put deep creek in the passage where the broke bolt is inside using seafoam deep creek. I placed the removable part of the broken bolt in the hole to hold the deep creek inside the passage in hopes it will loosen up. Was thinking of soaking it overnight. Then tomorrow hit it with a punch and use a left handed drill bit in hopes it will free the remaining broken thread of bolt???.
Thanks

15573617295662204046530787662255.jpg

15573617459967247268519132851227.jpg

15573617832936437611482903797389.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't have much to suggest other than what you have planned. The left-handed drill bit
is a good idea, if that doesn't work then try an ezy-out if you can find one long enough.
The last resort would be to remove the timing chain cover, allowing better access to the
broken bolt...

The last resort would be to remove the timing chain cover, allowing better access to the broken bolt...

Runnin'OnEmpty has the right idea - and just saying - if this were my problem, his idea would be my first choice.
Especially after seeing the pictures of the condition of those two water pump bolts.

I think you're just asking for more problems trying to punch, drill, extract that broken bolt in confined quarters VS pulling the timing cover and using vise-grips (and maybe some torch heat) to remove the broken bolt.

With that said - your mileage may vary- hope that helps and good luck!

BTW - what engine are you working on?

I am working on a 5.0 l v8 mercury mountaineer

That sucks :banghead:

Yes I know first hand
Lol
Is about all I can do.

I highly recommend to get a new timing cover, gasket and main seal at this point, along with new bolts. Not even joking here, it would suck to get it all back together and find the timing cover gasket leaking coolant. That timing cover is kinda touchy, not to mention that stuck bolt is going to stay in there until you mess up the cover.

5.0 waterpump broken bolt.....yup, Sucks!
A common problem though. Had it happen to me on my 5.0 Mustang.Ended up taking it to a shop to have it done.
Timing cover cracked when trying to remove. Ended up having them replace the timing chain since they were already there and the motor had just turned 100K.
Everything else from the timing set out was replaced also.
All totaled it cost near 2K.

Do it right and that 5.0 will go for another
500 thousand miles no joke

I highly recommend to get a new timing cover, gasket and main seal at this point, along with new bolts. Not even joking here, it would suck to get it all back together and find the timing cover gasket leaking coolant. That timing cover is kinda touchy, not to mention that stuck bolt is going to stay in there until you mess up the cover.

What Turdle said = +10 & to add to his advice: run a tap into each bolt hole to remove all accumulated rust so you get true torque readings when re-installing/tightening down the timing cover in three steps (minimum).

Also, if memory serves me correctly, I believe the 5.0 timing cover has between 4-6 bolts that come from the bottom up from the front lip of the oil pan into the bottom of the timing cover (just like the 4.0 OHV).

The sequence/order of operation should be that you install all of the timing cover bolts hand tight, AND THEN torque the bottom 4-6 bolts FIRST. After the bottom bolts are properly torqued, then go and torque down (in three steps) the (horizontal) timing cover bolts that go into the block.

Following this sequence/order of operation helps in ensuring that the timing cover gasket does not slip downwards at a later date - ask me how I know. I read about this tip after I had timing cover gasket slippage issues - even made a post to this forum.
Link: 4.0 OHV Timing Cover & Gasket Issues

An old timer on a repair tip forum posted the tip I've just listed from his personal experience (same as mine). Live & Learn...

Lastly, use a sharpie/white out/paint stick and mark each bolt (or next to it) as you torque down in three steps. That way, if interrupted or you need to step away, you will know what you did and where you left off. This tip costs nothing and is priceless at the same time...

Hope that helps and good luck - report back. Pics are always welcome ;-)

Thanks I had to use thread on a 5/16" nut onto part of threaded exposed broken bolt in block and welded it together. Kept working it slow right left and left right till I got it out.

15574427890536825905090928631697.jpg

15574428776796606138500905583964.jpg

Nice

:chug: Good Job & thanks for the pics!

Good job! These 5.0s are very stout, with the water pump and exhaust manifolds (tubular style) being their major flaws. You tackled the harder of the two. Bang on.

Do it right and that 5.0 will go for another
500 thousand miles no joke
Lol, I’m a 5.0 fan boy and I don’t go that far. If taken care if they are often 300k+ motors. My first had over 210k when I parked it running and it lived a HARD life.

I was lucky I had some of the threads left and was able to get a 5/16" nut on and welded on two corners.
I purchased a timing cover, gasket, main seal, and timing chain.

It is probably a good thing the bolt did break as crazy as it might sound. After I got the timing cover off i I noticed I had way to much deflection on the timing chain and either would have broke or jumped timing. Not worth trying to save $26 bucks.

I was able to get most of the old gasket removed from face of block. Even with towels placed in the opening of the oil pan I still had some gasket material fall in the pan. Used vacuum and light compressed air and was able to get it out. I'm gonna get the inspection camera down in the oil pan and double check for any debris etc and ensure oil pump does not clog up once assembled and running. I did break part of the harmonic balancer in the bellowing when ramp ing it. I'll drill that out and use the ez out style tool.
Take time to get it done right.

O I also did chase the threads as mentioned to allow proper torque and hopefully prevent future bolts breaking.
I am happy with progress so far. I won't know my results until I get the key turned and running.
Thanks for everyone's input and tips and instructions.

Lol, I’m a 5.0 fan boy and I don’t go that far. If taken care if they are often 300k+ motors. My first had over 210k when I parked it running and it lived a HARD life.
Five hundred thousand miles lol

download (1).jpeg

i have had 2 break in the block, one i got out, the other sheared off too far in.

one thing i have found is that there is a distinct lack of good replacement parts (my local ford dealer could barely find the correct bolts for some reason, i guess they expect us to all drive new cars.)

anyway since it was one bolt and i am not messing with the other things unless they break (timing cover etc) i used some RTV and slightly over torqued the nearest neighbours. it has been flawless for now.
she needs a new engine, but she only cost me $900 6 years ago (made 2 trips to chicago and back from florida and one trip to northern wisconsin also) so i have more then had my monies worth i only expected her to last a year or so.

pep boys wanted $600 to replace the water pump, even without knowing about the bolt issue. I laughed all the way out of the shop (still cost me 150 for the serpentine belt though, daylight robbery)

MBrooks thanks for the well needed laugh. I got it back together midday. I took my time and all said it took me 16 hours. I know shop time/book says 12 hours. Shop cost $1,600 labor and about $600 I. Parts. As sirdigalot mentioned the Water pump bolts from ford are obsolete. Napa and other parts suppliers sell a pack of 3 bolts, typical ones that break. The bolt that broke was not the typical one. I ended up going to local junk yard and found a 97 explorer 5.0 and got lucky as it had timing chain gasket and water pump replaced.
Was thinking it would help others like myself to get the bolts and put away if needed.
Does anyone sell parts for explorer or mountaineer on this site?
Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back