• Register Today It's free!

Water pump bolts stuck 5.0 911.

robertoa1a

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 5.0 xlt 2wd white/char
I have a '96 5.0 150k miles, with a bad water pump.

Everything came apart nice execpt for the two studs on the water pump at the far left and right.

If theese go into a water jacket, there may be no getting them out due to years of inside rust. The nuts seem to be brazed, welded, or otherwise one with the studs.

PB blaster aint gettin it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The bolts seize in the front cover the aluminum cover and steel bolt corrode together solid as a rock.
I slit my front cover on the left side to relieve the tension/seize and get some Kroil in there, come right out, course the head was snapped off and the water pump was removed. A nice stub remained and I was able to pound and e-torx onto it and backed it right out.
I cut mine so it was re-useable and is now at 215k and I replaced the leaky front cover gasket and water pump at 200k. The pump must have all its bolts or it WILL leak. With missing long studs it may also leak at the front cover.
1231001137.jpg

one way would be to pull the timing cover, and working it off the broken stunds, once that cover is off, it would be alot easier to remove the studs.

also heat helps.

The bolts seize in the front cover the aluminum cover and steel bolt corrode together solid as a rock.
I slit my front cover on the left side to relieve the tension/seize and get some Kroil in there, come right out, course the head was snapped off and the water pump was removed. A nice stub remained and I was able to pound and e-torx onto it and backed it right out.
I cut mine so it was re-useable and is now at 215k and I replaced the leaky front cover gasket and water pump at 200k. The pump must have all its bolts or it WILL leak. With missing long studs it may also leak at the front cover.
1231001137.jpg

That is great information.

My bolt is the one mounted below and to the left.

The only thing I can think of is to hit it with an arc welder and let the till it glows. Let expansion crush whatever is holding it up. A tortch would put too much heat on some of the other surounding stuff.

You could also try one of those "mini-torches" that butane lighters... the area is smaller and it does provide a good amount of "focused heat".

Back