• Register Today It's free!

2020 Explorer Water Pump Design

CajunHO

Reaction score
City, State
Saint Amant, Louisiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XLT
Is the 3.0 V6 water pump design the same as the previous 3.5? Will it leak into engine and tear it up having to replace engine? Seams like Ford would have fixed it considering the class action law suit.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Only the 3.5 had it.

Thank you.
I'm thankful the 2020 is rear drive, was concerned about the water pump. Might order a 2020 XLT now.

So I’ve read the horror stories on here in that one large thread for the prior model year regarding the water pump failures in the 3.5 TT... that when it fails it washes the engine out, thus resulting in a complete engine replacement...

Does anyone know if the 2020 ST w/3.0 TT has the same water pump design? Has Ford revised the design in the 3.0 TT to prevent catastrophic engine failures from water pump failure?

No, only FWD 5th gens with 3.5 and 3.7 had this issue.

This is a rwd platform with external pump.

Aware that Ford brought back the RWD on 2020s, just was not aware of 3.0 engine design.

Good to know about pump on 3.0 - thanks!

So I’ve read the horror stories on here in that one large thread for the prior model year regarding the water pump failures in the 3.5 TT... that when it fails it washes the engine out, thus resulting in a complete engine replacement...

Does anyone know if the 2020 ST w/3.0 TT has the same water pump design? Has Ford revised the design in the 3.0 TT to prevent catastrophic engine failures from water pump failure?
Your thread was merged with this existing one.

Peter

Back