Water Pump Failed | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water Pump Failed

Chugalug

Reaction score
The water pump on my 2013 Limited is toast and Ford is telling my local dealer they can't get a part to them until June as the replacement part is not available yet. Not sure what I should be doing or saying to them, the lady in the service department is trying everything she can but they are still telling her no part available, no eta, I told her if they don't have the part to fix it then ford should be giving me a new car, what do you guys think, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do some research with the Lemon Laws in your area, but I agree with you.

Thats half a year from now.

Whats your build date?

Mine is August 18th so hopefully it doesnt affect me.

I'd tell them you ain't making any payments until you have a drivable car! June is a totally unacceptable answer.

here in Virginia a car that is more than 32 days out of service is covered under the Lemon law. Tell them you want a new car or contact the Better Business Bureau!

Every state varies but most are very close to this.

30 days total of being out of service

3 or 4 unsuccessful attempts at repairing the vehicle.

I find it hard to believe it would take 6+ months for a water pump.. A loaner is a no brainer, no vehicle payments.. but personally if it was me, I would be going lemon law once the 30 days was up. If Ford wants to stick it to you that way, I'd keep my mouth shut and stick it right back to them.

The water pump on my 2013 Limited is toast and Ford is telling my local dealer they can't get a part to them until June as the replacement part is not available yet. Not sure what I should be doing or saying to them, the lady in the service department is trying everything she can but they are still telling her no part available, no eta, I told her if they don't have the part to fix it then ford should be giving me a new car, what do you guys think, any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Welcome to the Forum Chugalug.:wavey:
Too bad this had to be your first post.
I'm curious as to why the water pump on the 2013 Limited would be any different that the 2011 or 2012 Limiteds. Is yours the 3.5L V6 engine?

Peter

Thanks for all the reply's guys.

I live in Canada in BC, not sure if we have Lemon Laws here, I have never looked into it but I don't think we do.

Sgt1411, not sure what the build date is on mine, I bought it in April so mine was probably one of first ones off the line unfortunately, still find it hard to believe that they don't have a replacement part...can't they just get one from the factory where they are still making the car...crazy.

Peterk9, thank you for the welcome, I have been reading for months now just haven't had any problems until now. I don't understand either on why the part would differ from these models, and why they couldn't just call the factory to get a part from there. I'm not sure on the engine size, I do know for sure that it is a V6 but never did look if it was 3.5L.

Thanks for all the input...hoping to get some answers soon from ford.

They should at least be pulling a pump off an Ex on the lot, if they can't provide a warranteed part. good luck

I live in Canada in BC, not sure if we have Lemon Laws here, I have never looked into it but I don't think we do.

Sgt1411, not sure what the build date is on mine, I bought it in April so mine was probably one of first ones off the line unfortunately, still find it hard to believe that they don't have a replacement part...can't they just get one from the factory where they are still making the car...crazy.

Peterk9, thank you for the welcome, I have been reading for months now just haven't had any problems until now. I don't understand either on why the part would differ from these models, and why they couldn't just call the factory to get a part from there. I'm not sure on the engine size, I do know for sure that it is a V6 but never did look if it was 3.5L.

Your right in Canada we don't have Lemon Laws but you can use CAMVAP, Google it.

It's an arbitration process that I used to get them to take back 2011 and move into a 2013

If it is a V6, non EcoBoost, it is a 3.5L.
Here is the info I found on Fordparts.com re Engine Water Pump, V6 Cyclone TIVCT ;
2011 - #8501 (PW-515) 3.5L $151.58
2012 - Build Date 4/4/2011 to 1/1/2010
#8501 (PW-515) $151.58
2012 - Build Date after 1/2/2012
#8501 (PW-531) $90.34
2013 - #8501 (PW-531) $90.34 - same as 2012 built after 1/2/2012

2013 - #8501 (PW-533) $77.42 - this is for the Dual Overhead Cam T/C V6 Gas.

In any case unless you have the PW-533 pump, it looks like you should be able to get a pump from a 2012 model.

Peter

Thank you.

Hi Chugalug,

I'd like to step in here and get my contact from Ford Canada involved. Send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, daytime phone number, and full name; I'll do the rest.

Thanks!
Crystal

Water pump 2011 Explorer, $1600 fix...help!

Looking for help/advice. Two days ago my Ford Explorer (81,000 highway miles, 5 years, great condition) started making rattling noise coming from under hood. Took today to dealer and they said its the water pump, $1600 to fix. They actually did say it is unusual for this to happen at this mileage. We have been loyal Ford customers all my life, can't even count how many Ford cars we have purchased in my family. Just doesn't seem right to me.
Any advice?

Advice? Get a second opinion from another reputable mechanic.

Good luck.

Get it fixed before it causes engine failure. A new engine is a lot more than $1600. Look at the thread on the subject in this forum.

Take somewhere (anywhere) other than the dealer, and the cost will be half or less.

Looking for help/advice. Two days ago my Ford Explorer (81,000 highway miles, 5 years, great condition) started making rattling noise coming from under hood. Took today to dealer and they said its the water pump, $1600 to fix. They actually did say it is unusual for this to happen at this mileage. We have been loyal Ford customers all my life, can't even count how many Ford cars we have purchased in my family. Just doesn't seem right to me.
Any advice?
Here is the thread that COEXSPORT was referring to;http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ter-pump-failure-leads-to-dead-engine.424482/
The water pump is inside the engine block so I'm guessing most of the cost is for labour.

Peter

Any advice?

First off, I would not drive it at all, coolant could get into engine oil and cause catastrophic damage to your engine.

Secondly, I would read the thread Peter posted: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums...ter-pump-failure-leads-to-dead-engine.424482/

Lastly, I wish you the best of luck and hope that your engine is okay and all you need to do is replace is the water pump.

Back