water pump help

Sbyrne97

Reaction score
City, State
Mason Neck, Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Mountaineer
I have a problem.

I'm changing the water pump in my 5.0 and I rounded off one of the stud nuts on after getting all of the other bolts out.

I tried to heat it up, used a whole can of penetrating oil, and tried to vise grip but the bolt wont budge and in frustration I have rounded off the nut on the stud.

Any thoughts or suggestions. I'm kinda stuck here

I thought about cutting off part of the stud flush to the nut and use IRWIN bolt extractors. but im worried it might break or the bolt extractors wont work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I thought about cutting off part of the stud flush to the nut and use IRWIN bolt extractors. but im worried it might break or the bolt extractors wont work.Unable to loosen with vise grips means extractor likely will not work. You may need to saw off the nut/bolt (under the nut), center punch bolt shank left in engine, drill small hole, perhaps 1/8-inch, then slightly larger. try to keep drill centered in bolt shank. When you reach drill size close to tap drill size for those diameter bolts, an extractor MAY back out what's left. If not, thread in a tap of appropriate size, creating new threads. Slightly larger diameter than original may be necessary. Good luck!
///////////////

I have a problem.

I'm changing the water pump in my 5.0 and I rounded off one of the stud nuts on after getting all of the other bolts out.

I tried to heat it up, used a whole can of penetrating oil, and tried to vise grip but the bolt wont budge and in frustration I have rounded off the nut on the stud.

Any thoughts or suggestions. I'm kinda stuck here

I thought about cutting off part of the stud flush to the nut and use IRWIN bolt extractors. but im worried it might break or the bolt extractors wont work.

I have a set of Craftsmand extractors that fit OVER a rounded off nut or bolt head. They have tapered, reversed cutting edges inside, and a large six-sided outside that fits in standard sockets of various sizes. You can get a lot more torque than with vise grips and as it tightens it pulls down on the rounded off nut. If the nut won't come loose, it may back the whole stud out. Worst that happens is that you break the stud, which is no worse off than you are now. Great tool!!

thanks guys. I think ima go with the extractors the other nuts backed the whole stud out so im assuming they are all rusted on. Im going to go soak the bolt down again.

Unable to loosen with vise grips means extractor likely will not work. You may need to saw off the nut/bolt (under the nut), center punch bolt shank left in engine, drill small hole, perhaps 1/8-inch, then slightly larger. try to keep drill centered in bolt shank. When you reach drill size close to tap drill size for those diameter bolts, an extractor MAY back out what's left. If not, thread in a tap of appropriate size, creating new threads. Slightly larger diameter than original may be necessary. Good luck!

Problem is the you can't put a drill in between the radiator and the bolt head unless you used a right angle drill which I don't have access too.

thanks guys. I think ima go with the extractors the other nuts backed the whole stud out so im assuming they are all rusted on. Im going to go soak the bolt down again.

Problem is the you can't put a drill in between the radiator and the bolt head unless you used a right angle drill which I don't have access too.

Understood! Still, easier to pull out a radiator to gain access than an engine!

;) imp

Back