Water pump or temp sensor? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump or temp sensor?

WncLee

Reaction score
City, State
Mars Hill,NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
I was so happy to finally fix our 2000 X v8 misfire after driving it misfiring for awhile,was either the IAC or the oil return tube that was loose where it comes into the rubber intake tube from air cleaner. Then a sway bar link came apart, so I fixed that & took it for a test drive. I parked it & looked down & coolant dumping out. Do Ford V8 water pumps have the weep hole like Chevy v8's? I tried to see where the coolant was coming from & can only see it running down the rim of the oil pan, I know it isn't a hose,they are both fine,not coming from the radiator, so figured it is either coolant temp sensor or water pump, I just can't see where it is leaking. Recovering from multiple spinal fusion & not the best time for this to be happening. Any help would be greatly appreciated,my back is already screaming at me for laying on the nice gravel driveway to fix the sway bar link,shhh nobody tell my Dr LOL.

every water pump i've ever had the pleasure of changing had a weep hole. it's very possible the water pump seal is going and coolant is leaking from the weep hole. it's also not uncommon for the 5.0 to develop a coolant leak around the timing chain cover. last winter i had the exact same thing happen on my 2000 5.0 Mountaineer. it also was making a kind of rattling noise, which i first thought was the alternator bearing. after changing the alternator the noise was still there and it immediately started leaking coolant, but only when cold. i was planning to change the water pump, but then the noise and leak stopped. it's been 5 months and 5,000 miles and it hasn't made the noise again or leaked a drop of coolant. as the vehicle is only used locally, i'm just keeping an eye on it for now.

I'll let it warm up & see if it stops. I now it isn't the thermostat housing or the little elbow hose, replaced both recently,major PITA that little elbow is getting it on. It's not dumping it just some drips all over. We were just saying how good the truc has been to us only having little things here & there that are expected,especially since it has 230k miles on it, but still runs like a champ.

Once it warmed up it stopped, will put a few gallons of water in the back to make sure she doesn't run out of coolant when I'm not with her. Thanks a bunch, if I was still in GA I'd say come on over for a cookout & beer on me.

Back