Water Pump problem/ Weep Hole?

sirhk100

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
las vegas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91
I've got a pretty major coolent leak once My motor gets up to tempature and the pressure builds. It looks to be coming from under the alternator behind the water pump (I think). I did a search and read there is a weep hole on the water pump to warn of a bad seal. What does a "Weep" look like and where is this "hole"? Mine friggin SPRAYS from back there, is that a "weep"?. I'll see if I can get a photo of where mine is leaking from tonight. I just don't want to be replacing parts left and right. BTW it's a '92 Exploder with the 4.0...

Khris

It used to be

A long long time ago that the bearings would go first and the shaft would wiggle. Now they just start leaking. I've put four new ones in my 92. Factory one lasts about 130K and then the aftermarket ones last me 1 1/2 years. Didn't think seals were rocket science. So if you don't like doing it, get a factory one. I keep telling myself that I will be getting rid of it and go cheap.

Sounds about right, I'm at about 125K on it and going cheap is good for me. It'll be up for sale in a month or two!!!

I've got a pretty major coolent leak once My motor gets up to tempature and the pressure builds. It looks to be coming from under the alternator behind the water pump (I think). I did a search and read there is a weep hole on the water pump to warn of a bad seal. What does a "Weep" look like and where is this "hole"? Mine friggin SPRAYS from back there, is that a "weep"?. I'll see if I can get a photo of where mine is leaking from tonight. I just don't want to be replacing parts left and right. BTW it's a '92 Exploder with the 4.0...

Khris
Did you fix your problem? Cause I'm going through the same thing. Looking for solutions. Please and thank you.

Back