Water pump pulley shaft broke off while driving | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump pulley shaft broke off while driving

Kickingback99

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB2wd
Hi everyone, I did a search for this issue but couldn't seem to find anything, but wanted to pick your brains for a minute. Here's the situation....

2006 Ford Explorer EB 4.0 v6. 2wd.

Wife was driving and the water pump pulley broke off while doing 60 causing obvious damage to radiator, cooling fan assembly, etc. Pump and cooling system was replaced 10k miles ago by local shop for the same reason. What symptoms could cause this. Just don't want this to happen a third time. Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Worn wobbly idler and tension pulley bearings is all that come to mind. All others are fixed to their respective drive components EG Alternator, Power steering, AC compressor

However, I never heard that occurring on any vehicle before. Don't think anyone else has either. What did the shop say to it.

Overtightened belt might snap a pulley but that should not happen unless something seized, stalling the belt force extreme force on that pulley. I can't think what it might be. If the AC engaged and stalled for an internal problem it alone might have the ability to cause it. Where you located fill a detailed signature for your posts. Testing the AC for and extended run to see if its is working properly.

Long story on the shop. Short story... timing chain guides went bad. A friend, an independent shop, said he could fix them for 1500. Got it back, cooling fan not hooked up to computer, blew pump pulley first time. He repaired cooling system Then 15k miles later chains go bad again. I take it back to him to fix. 7 months later, yes 7 months, a lawyer and the police later, I get it back with a used engine. So not taking it back to him, maybe court, but. When I took the pump off it looks like the bearings went bad. When I took it off the parts on the inside literally fell out everywhere.

Sounds like some ebay parts were used. Quality of parts used is probably your whole issue.

It may take a number of coolant flushes to get all the metal shavings flushed from the Pump and radiator. I don't know what it says about my flushing ability but it took me three separate times to flush the shaving out. Someone told me if you don't get the shaving out they will act like sandpaper to the water pump bearing. I also used Redline Waterwetter for what it's worth.

Didn't think about metal shavings in there from pump I will flush it this weekend. Thank you. Good advice!

Back