Water pump replacement, do it before it goes out? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump replacement, do it before it goes out?

Rayxor

Reaction score
City, State
Conway
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Base model
Just picked up my 2014 Explorer about two weeks ago. Love it but the horror stories on the water pump bothers me. Would it be a good idea to have it changed along with the timing chains or wait until it starts leaking out the weep hole? It has 103k miles on it and I want it to last 200k+ miles. While there in there, figured I would have the cam phasers and solenoids changed out since the phasers are the same labor as the water pump. Going to get the transmission flushed as well then onto the mods. Want it 100% settled before the fun stuff gets started.

Edit, dealer offered 3 months 3k mile power train warranty but with the way the part supplies are now. Would rather fix it now instead of waiting for something that might go wrong.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't it would be a bad idea at all. Imo that's the worst part of the 3.5 NA motor, the internal water pump.

I am going through this decision with our 2015 Edge with 100k miles on it. It has the same 3.5L engine as the Explorer. I am watching the coolant level very closely but plan to have the water pump replaced at around 130k-135k miles if it doesn't need it sooner. The 3.5L engine is nearly bullet proof with the exception of the internal water pump going out far too often. Some 3.5L engines have well over 200k miles on them with the original water pump. Some don't make it half that long.

I am going through this decision with our 2015 Edge with 100k miles on it. It has the same 3.5L engine as the Explorer. I am watching the coolant level very closely but plan to have the water pump replaced at around 130k-135k miles if it doesn't need it sooner. The 3.5L engine is nearly bullet proof with the exception of the internal water pump going out far too often. Some 3.5L engines have well over 200k miles on them with the original water pump. Some don't make it half that long.
That's my dilemma, I have seen them last well into 180k and the only reason it was changed was because of a timing issue. Which was on an Edge but on the other side of the coin I have seen them go out at 70k miles. I think I'm just going to have it changed, would rather be safe than sorry and it would bring me peace of mind.

Our 2011 XLT lost the WP (& engine) at 115k miles. The 2016 Sport needs the timing chain & guides replaced at 120k and will do the WP at that time. Need to get the quote refreshed (from October 2019) and then scheduled. That one is still running...

If you are planning on keeping it to 200m miles I would do it now. I have a 2014 that had 86,000 miles on it when I had it done last fall. My thinking was I wanted it to last another 60,000 miles so I saw no reason not to preemptively change it . I also did the timing components and cam phasers / soleniods. The way I look at it I could have waited but why wait until 100,000 miles and then change them when I know how long I am keeping the vehicle. Changed them and I now have a certain level of comfort that I won't get stranded in the middle on nowhere with a ruined engine.

I think it is reasonably safe to assume 100k-130k is very likely to pass without a water pump failure. We plan to keep the Edge for the foreseeable future and this might be to the point it reaches 200k miles, or more. Waiting longer means we wouldn't have to do the pump change again for as long as we will own it.

Just picked up my 2014 Explorer about two weeks ago. Love it but the horror stories on the water pump bothers me. Would it be a good idea to have it changed along with the timing chains or wait until it starts leaking out the weep hole? It has 103k miles on it and I want it to last 200k+ miles. While there in there, figured I would have the cam phasers and solenoids changed out since the phasers are the same labor as the water pump. Going to get the transmission flushed as well then onto the mods. Want it 100% settled before the fun stuff gets started.

Edit, dealer offered 3 months 3k mile power train warranty but with the way the part supplies are now. Would rather fix it now instead of waiting for something that might go wrong.
Have you looked into or considered getting an ESP warranty? Ford ESP at dealer cost to forum members

Peter

I considered this myself, but was told by a Ford dealer that this was not available for my 2016 with 60,000 on it.....
Get in touch with Joel and see what he says. I believe the ESP would be considered as being for a 'used' vehicle at this stage.

Peter

After a certain point, either in time or mileage, vehicles become ineligible for Ford's ESP plans. Once that point is passed, you're left with the sleazy after market plans that advertise heavily on TV and radio if you want some sort of "plan".

Found this in the thread I linked above.

Peter

After a certain point, either in time or mileage, vehicles become ineligible for Ford's ESP plans. Once that point is passed, you're left with the sleazy after market plans that advertise heavily on TV and radio if you want some sort of "plan".
They also call my mobile phone every day.

I can look into the ESP but with what I've read online so far. They only cover 8 years/150,000 miles. But I'll still look into it. Never know.

At this point, it's probably more cost effective to replace the WP and timing components, than it would be for an extended warranty. My refreshed quote was $2350.

At this point, it's probably more cost effective to replace the WP and timing components, than it would be for an extended warranty. My refreshed quote was $2350.
I agree. One could buy the warranty and not have the water pump go bad during its run. Then you spent the money for nothing in regard to the water pump issue. Also, the timing chains and guides in the 3.5L engines are very reliable. They typically will last for 200k-300k miles or more. Most times these components will last a very long time and one can knock the price down quite a bit by leaving the old chains and guides in if money is tight. Around here the water pump only can be done for around $1,500-$1,800.

The reason I'm getting this done is that the timing chains are getting very noisy in this particular vehicle.

I agree. One could buy the warranty and not have the water pump go bad during its run. Then you spent the money for nothing in regard to the water pump issue. Also, the timing chains and guides in the 3.5L engines are very reliable. They typically will last for 200k-300k miles or more. Most times these components will last a very long time and one can knock the price down quite a bit by leaving the old chains and guides in if money is tight. Around here the water pump only can be done for around $1,500-$1,800.
I plan on getting the water pump, timing kit, phasers and solenoids done. If the water pump leaks out, an engine would be a lot more and that's even if you can find one.

Theres a lot on these forums about the waterpump in these engines most of my experience is posted in this thread

Water pump failure leads to dead engine

to summarize
I learned about the waterpump issue at 200000 miles, and I did a preemptive replacement, along with the timing chain, oil pump and front main seal. Im now at 360000 miles and thinking about doing it all again

there are two ways that the waterpump can fail.
One is if one of the two gaskets between the pump and the block fail. Water will leak to the ground. No problem. You have been warned. Replace the pump.
The other is if the the shaft seal fails, If this happens water will be pumped into the oil, Catastrophic engine failure, without any warning can result

Bottom line is I wouldnt wait until I see water on the floor of the garage

I have also installed a float switch in the expansion tank. If the water level drops a red light will light up on the dash (I hope) I reported on this, (with pictures) in the same thread.. post #1112

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You may want to upgrade the oil pump while you are in there. I wish I did it when mine was apart. They make an upgraded unit with higher spring pressure which really helps on high mileage cold starts. The cam phasers tend to rattle on startup due to poor oil flow.

Back