Water pump replacement parts list | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water pump replacement parts list

aguita

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
16 Platinum
after reading threads about the water pump issue, im changing mine as preventive maintenance. my 16 platinum have 110k on the clock so i prefer to do that and not to loose the engine..

Can someone provide the parts list needed in order to change the pump?
Im doing this myself, other than pump is there any gaskets that i should replace? i noticed that the parts fiche doesn't show a gasket for the timing cover is this correct rtv!?

while at there should i replace the chains? sliders?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

after reading threads about the water pump issue, im changing mine as preventive maintenance. my 16 platinum have 110k on the clock so i prefer to do that and not to loose the engine..

Can someone provide the parts list needed in order to change the pump?
Im doing this myself, other than pump is there any gaskets that i should replace? i noticed that the parts fiche doesn't show a gasket for the timing cover is this correct rtv!?

while at there should i replace the chains? sliders?

Replacing the water pump is not a simple job. Ford allocates 10-12 hours on it as the engine needs to be removed. I have heard of people replacing with the engine still in place, but have no idea of that process.

If you're going to do so, I would highly recommend acquiring a copy of the service manual, whether a permanent one (prices range from $170-$300) or just a subscription to fords online manual ($30 for 3 days access).

Replacing the water pump is not a simple job. Ford allocates 10-12 hours on it as the engine needs to be removed. I have heard of people replacing with the engine still in place, but have no idea of that process.

If you're going to do so, I would highly recommend acquiring a copy of the service manual, whether a permanent one (prices range from $170-$300) or just a subscription to fords online manual ($30 for 3 days access).

after watching some videos, looks like it could be done with the engine in place..will dowload the service manual for sure

can you tell where i can access for $30 the manual!?

I just replaced my water pump this past weekend. I'll get the receipt out of my garage tonight and post the list. I did the chains, guides, tensioners, while I was there (they didn't look too bad, some wear on the guides). It adds a couple hundred to the cost but I don't want to have to go back in there later to fix that. I did not replace the phasers. And RTV for the front cover is correct. But Ford has a special motorcraft RTV that is supposed to prevent the oil from foaming. I did not remove the motor for this job, nor did i evacuate the ac. I was able to get to everything without doing that. For gaskets I just ordered new intake manifold gasket and valve cover gaskets.

Luckily, the Ford tech noticed water leak and informed me. It cost me $40 for replacing water pump. whew. Thank goodness for ESP

I just replaced my water pump this past weekend. I'll get the receipt out of my garage tonight and post the list. I did the chains, guides, tensioners, while I was there (they didn't look too bad, some wear on the guides). It adds a couple hundred to the cost but I don't want to have to go back in there later to fix that. I did not replace the phasers. And RTV for the front cover is correct. But Ford has a special motorcraft RTV that is supposed to prevent the oil from foaming. I did not remove the motor for this job, nor did i evacuate the ac. I was able to get to everything without doing that. For gaskets I just ordered new intake manifold gasket and valve cover gaskets.

No way, that's awesome! Did you follow a manual of some sorts or did it through prior experience?

No way, that's awesome! Did you follow a manual of some sorts or did it through prior experience?

No prior experience, at least not with this. I searched through this forum and watched all the parts to these 2 youtube videos. Also extremely helpful to have the manual. You'll need it for the torque specs and helps identify some bolts that are hard to see. There is over 20 holding on the front cover. It also just keeps you on track. The parts list was the only thing I couldn't find but with the help of the manual and parts department, I was able to identify everything needed. A couple of parts have been redesigned. The Youtube videos will help you understand everything that is needed to change out the waterpump. For the Taurus video, they removed the engine, and the f150 isn't exactly our motor, it gives you a good idea of the work involved. The factory manual doesn't exactly give you a "how to" for the whole process, you'll have to look through a few sections to get everything involved.

Okay, this is in no particular order...

Part Number: Description: Qty
AT4Z-6268-A Timing Chain secondary 2
AT4Z-6B274-A Guide 1
AT4Z-6K297-A Guide 1
AT4Z-6K297-B Guide 1
AT4Z-8501-B Water Pump 1
BR3Z-6584-B Valve Cover Gasket Right 1
BR3Z-6584-C Valve Cover Gasket Left 1
AT4Z-9H486-A Intake Manifold Gasket 1
BL3Z-6268-A Timing Chain Primary 1 Might want to verify this one... Looks to be police interceptor utility related. Other part number I see is AT4Z-6268-C
BL3Z-6K255-A Guide Arm 1
AT4Z-6K254-A Secondary Tensioner 2
AT4Z-6K297-D Upper Chain Guide 2
AT4Z-6279-D Phaser Bolt 2
AT4Z-6279-E Phaser Bolt 2
TA-357- Sealant 1 For the front cover
BL3Z-6L266-A Main Tensioner 1

I also did spark plugs, since it was easy access..
SP-520- QTY 6

I hope this helps. Total came out to about $400 with spark plugs.

Back