• Register Today It's free!

Water pump replacement

Hyper26414

Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
5.0L 98 XLT
I have come to find that my water pump is squealing and is leaking a little. I was wondering if I should use a water pump gasket or if it is better to use rtv???? What is the best way to seal the water pump??? Also Should I replace the timing chain as I have about 150,000 miles on it???

I guess I forgot to mention that I fully plan on replacing the water pump.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This happened to me on xmas eve. Best way is to go ahead and replace the whole water pump. If its going bad then theres no point to re sealing it to just have to replace it here in a few months. Its a fairly simple job to do just takes some time and patience

I actually have a brand new motorcraft water pump sitting here in a box. I have replaced water pumps before. I just can't remember if I used a gasket or rtv to seal them. I want to know the best way to seal the water pump and also if I have it all apart should I go ahead and replace the timing chain as I have 150,000+ miles on the explorer.

:feedback:

I replaced my waterpump around the same mileage as you have now, used a gasket. No rtv. Didn't touch anything else at the time, have over 260 K on my engine and still going without burning too much oil (about a quart every other week).
Keep track of what bolt goes where when replacing the waterpump.

Hmm I think it would be wise to just go ahead and replace the timing chain.

Now should I go with a timing chain or gears?

Back