• Register Today It's free!

Water pump woes

Wrangler95CSA

Reaction score
City, State
Summerville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer
Greetings again! 2000 Eddie Bauer Explorer V8 with 106k miles on it. After replacing the radiator and all hoses, I filled it to do a coolant flush. Shortly after it started I noticed I had a leak where the bypass hose connects to the water pump. Upon further inspection, I discovered that I had a hole in the inlet to the water pump about the size of a match head, so I had to kill the engine and stop the flush (all the water and cleaner is still in the system). Unfortunately I don't have the time to be able to do a water pump change, so I wanted to see what you guys think about this: if I were to JB Weld the hole in the water pump inlet neck, do you think it will hold long enough for me to limp it to the nearest garage about a mile and a half away?

Thanks in advance for all your input!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, definitely.

Id think it would be fine also. As long as the area is roughed up, clean and dry. Then let it set overnight.
I cringe at having to replace a water pump on our motors. There's so many guys breaking water pump bolts its scarey.

Thanks for your thoughts. My wife just had a great idea... "Why not just get it towed to the garage?" Maybe this is a better course of action?

Save on the towing charge, less than a few minutes should be fine. Loosen the radiator cap and watch the temp gauge.

Ended up going with my wife's idea and got it towed since it's free with the insurance company. Thanks again!

Back