• Register Today It's free!

Water pump

ExploderHOKIE

Reaction score
City, State
Blacksburg, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT
Wow, a friend of mine with a 91 X just got a quote of $1200 to replace her water pump...times like these make me really glad I do all my own work.

Its crazy, because you can buy a new water pump for like $50, I think I might have to call that shop and make a deal. I would do it myself, except the X is in southern Ill. and I'm in SW VA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Tell her to go to another shop. I've done it several times myself. With a labor rate of $80.00/hr it should't cost more than about $500. It shouldn't take a shop more than about 5hrs. to do it. Probably shouldn't take that long.

Tell her to go to another shop. I've done it several times myself. With a labor rate of $80.00/hr it should't cost more than about $500. It shouldn't take a shop more than about 5hrs. to do it. Probably shouldn't take that long.

5 hours? You have to be kidding?

Alldata shows a shop rate of 1.8 hours.

yeah, I wish the X was in town, I'd do it for her, but she broke down onthe way back to Blacksburg from Ill. so I don't I'll have to talk to he and see if there is any way of geting it to another shop, or if there are any others around, becasue aparently she was way out in the middle of no where

I might have to call that shop for her and see what's going on, because I could do it in the parking lot of my apartment in just a few hours

I think they see her situation and are taking full advantage.
I hate to say it but maybe a man's voice talking to these guys would bring them back to earth price -wise.

Let them know that you've done the job and know the time it took and the price of parts.

5 hours? You have to be kidding?

Alldata shows a shop rate of 1.8 hours.

I was being very conservative. $80/hr labor at 5 hours is $400, so it shouldn't cost anywhere near $1200. It would take me about 5 hours to do it going slowly. A shop should be able to do it lickety split.

I had mine done a a stealership for just under $325. That was waterpump, top hose, belt and tensioner.

Back