Water stains over 3rd row window headliner (pics attached) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water stains over 3rd row window headliner (pics attached)

gabdonat007

Reaction score
City, State
Ft. Pierce, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer XLT V6
Hello!

I've read a few threads on water leaks on the rear of our Explorers, but I haven't seen one with the same issue as mine.

We've had a few rainy days in Florida and it seems my EX is having a water leak issue. I noticed when my windows started to fog up at night.

After searching around the cabin, I saw some water stains on the headliner above the third row windows and then some water on the right side of the compartment door where the jack & spare wheel lowering mechanism is.

I poured water over the windows on both sides to see if they'd drip, but they didn't. I also poured water over the roof racks closest to the windows, no dripping either.

I did use to have the usual tailgate windshield drip from the two windshield mounting points, but I siliconed them thanks to a thread on here.

I wanted to ask on here before having to go to the dealership.

Any help?

Pics below.

Got a DampRid to see if that would control some of the dampness inside. It's working. No damp smells!
IMG_0327.jpg

IMG_0330.jpg

IMG_0331.jpg

Also, where the tailgate latches on is damp as well.
IMG_0332.jpg

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No sunroof.
Oh... well there goes that idea.

Next thing to look for: stand on the rear tire on the side that has the water spotting, and look at the roof to see if there's any seams that have split.

Oh... well there goes that idea.

Next thing to look for: stand on the rear tire on the side that has the water spotting, and look at the roof to see if there's any seams that have split.

It seems, thanks to you, we have our culprits....

The little canals on each side have, what I think are cracks on the corners. I'm relatively amateur to this so, maybe you can confirm they're cracks?

IMG_0344.jpg

IMG_0345.jpg

IMG_0346.jpg

IMG_0347.jpg

Any remedy for this?

A quick silicone job and you're finished...no more leaks.

the fix depends on how permanent you want it.

just silicone on top of that will be a fairly temporary fix.

I'd recommend you lightly sand to remove any rust, then paint it with some rust-activated primer and then a top coat (it's the roof, so it doesn't have to look pretty), and THEN silicone, otherwise you run the risk of the silicone flaking off along with bits of rusted-off roof, especially if you take it through the carwash regularly.

If you want a 100% permanent solution, the roof panel needs to be completely de-bonded from the substructure, sanded, primed, and installed with new seam sealer, then a finish coat of paint... but that will likely be a 5-digit cost at a body shop.

I noticed I have this same issue aswell. When I look at the roof I noticed the paint has a slight crack in it. Are you saying that that crack is what is letting the water into the interior. The crack looks similar to the above photos of the red explorer. If thats true could I just clear coat over the paint crack or does it have to be silicon or fixed professionally.

Thanks, Thomas

Same problem here on my 2002, I'm just gonna try some spray flexi seal since my Explorer is black and nobody will notice on the roof.

Same problem here on my 2002, I'm just gonna try some spray flexi seal since my Explorer is black and nobody will notice on the roof.

I tried this with the clear FlexSeal and it’s working so far!

Took the EXP through a carwash some hours ago, Flex Seal seems to be doing it's job on the right side. It dripped some water on the left side, so, after the roof dried up, I gave a second spray to the cracks on that side. Letting it cure 24-48 hours until it I give it a third pass.

Hey guys new to the forum just bought my wife a 2013 explorer limited had our first heavy rain since buying the vehicle and what you know rear hatch leaking from 3rd row seat belts after reading through this forum I have since looked it over and noticed the previous owner did a patch job that has obviously failed... Question is in some of the other threads with this topic I noticed a member that was supposed to be a "official ford rep" is this not a problem that ford is willing to address our car only has 66k miles on it... Seems as if this many vehicles suffering the same problem they would issue a recall or some sort of no cost offer to repair it??? Anyone heard anything other than the silly cone..

Hey guys new to the forum just bought my wife a 2013 explorer limited had our first heavy rain since buying the vehicle and what you know rear hatch leaking from 3rd row seat belts after reading through this forum I have since looked it over and noticed the previous owner did a patch job that has obviously failed... Question is in some of the other threads with this topic I noticed a member that was supposed to be a "official ford rep" is this not a problem that ford is willing to address our car only has 66k miles on it... Seems as if this many vehicles suffering the same problem they would issue a recall or some sort of no cost offer to repair it??? Anyone heard anything other than the silly cone..

Ford will not warranty or recall for this issue. I made a complaint to Ford Corporate office. They just gave me a case # . Now I waiting to hear back from them. My 2012 explorer smells really bad from being wet . I just took out the spare tire and ripped out the soaking wet carpet. Can't get rid of the smell .

20190118_160759.jpg

1547936012761877286494846677220.jpg

15479360412245541336913977570025.jpg

Back