Water Temp Gauge not working at all. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Water Temp Gauge not working at all.

jmetz1.5

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer XLS
First and foremost I did a search, and was able to come up with some useful information.

Among other problems, my temp gauge is currently not working. It doesn't flucuate ANY! It sits completely horizontal. I have to flush the radiator this week, and replace the thermostat. Should I go ahead and replace the sending unit? Or could it be something else.

In all my searches regarding the sending unti, it seems everyone else's gauage surged, or moved a little bit. My temp gauage is completely lifeless.

Any advice?

TIA

It's a '96 xlt btw.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Bump,

someone has to know...PLEASE!!!

So...

I replaced the sending unit & the coolant sensor, still nothing. The gauge wont't even BUDGE!!!

Is there anything else to check? I figures the last thing I know of to check is to check the connection to the gauge. What should I look for?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

What Engine?

Attached is a 4.0 OHV showing the sensors, one's for the computer (ECT) the other's for the gauge (WTS), make sure you replaced the correct one (WTS).
Also a resistance chart.

Attachments

• ECT Chart.gif
    ECT Chart.gif
    11.2 KB · Views: 4,414
  • TS PIC.JPG
    TS PIC.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 14,006

I replaced the Water temp sender and the engine coolant sensor. Are you telling me there is another sensor?

The two I replaced are the two at the front of the lower intake manifold.

I replaced the Water temp sender and the engine coolant sensor. Are you telling me there is another sensor?

The two I replaced are the two at the front of the lower intake manifold.

No, those are the only two. The WTS is the one for the gauge.

maybe its your gauge in your dash

maybe its your gauge in your dash

Yea, I think that may be my next target. I'll pull the dash out, and see if it's a loose connection.

Thanks for the help guys.

I just went through this with my 95 xlt. Supposedly if you ground the single wire sending unit to the block your gauge should max out. This shows if the guage is bad. or if it's further back in the wiring. I discovered that the oil guage is the same as the thermostat (only reveresed). Once I moved them they both moved. Then I put them back and it magically started working. Might have not been seated or something. At least I knew once I moved the guage that the wiring and sensors were good. Hope this helps.

So just pull the wire off the sending unit and touch it to bock, and start the engine? The same connector with the rubber boot on it?

I tried to hold this connector to the lower intake, but the temp gauge still didn't budge.

Am I on the right track here?

Apparently that means that the problem is not at the sending unit. I'd head right into the cluster and swap that oil gauge and see if it moves. If it does the guage is the problem. (the oil guage would be backwards but should tell you something if it works.)

I don't know if this will help but...

I have a 94 ex with the 4.0.

I have replaced the thermostat almoast every year! No kidding. Sometimes I get a surging /jumping needle on the guage, sometimes it jumps allthe way up and then drops down, othertimes it just stays pegged at the bottom. Every time it was just the thermostat. I have tried every brand/type/ and quality and they all suck. I don't know what it is about my vehicle but the stats fail in a year to a year and a half consistantly.

As a matter of a fact it is doing the same as yours right now and I plan on replacing the thermostats some time this weekend. I will post my results just in case it may be helpful.

Either way a t-stat and gasket is an easy job and would be good sense if it hasn't been done in a few years so worst case you would only be out 10 bucks and a half hours time.

Also on many of these trucks there are two sending units, one on each side of the thermostat, so be sure you replace the right one if you determine your sending unit is the cause and not a faulty thermostat.

Like I said before, I replaced both the sending unit and coolant sensor.

I also replaced the t-stat. It has to either be bad wiring or a bad gauge. The check gauge light comes on once a day also.

I have 97 XLT and the gauge is dead too. I too replaced the sensor and the T-stat with no change. I did disconnect and touch the engine block with the gauge jumping to Hot. I think its suppose to be grounded and thats the problem, but the sensor I bought had something on the threads. I am going to try and ground the sensor another way to see if this helps. I will post my results...

HI Guys !
I know this thread is old but.. here is a catch.. the temperature sender unit has two contacts in my OHV Explorer 97.. Now, the gauge sits at C without moving .. however, I did do the grunding test and it worked.. plus, I have used a meter and found that between he body of the sender (nut area) and the engine block there is continuity.. which means that there is grounding.. yet.. now movement on the gauge.. Another clue is that when set to HOT, my cabin air is lukewarm.. .. any ideas ? I suspect the thermostat next to the sender.. am I correct ?

I never was able to resolve this problem, I ended up buying an aftermarket temp gauge and running through the firewall and into the cabin where I could see it and that's what I have used.
Even though my dash gauge moved by grounding, etc. it never read anything but cold. The whole time the engine temp was running normal, this was confirmed with the aftermarket gauge.

Also, Yes if your temp is only lukewarm when suppose to be hot you have a faulty thermostat. Its not opening/closing correctly.

Back