• Register Today It's free!

Wating to customize 4x4 switch

Toggleswitch

Reaction score
City, State
Glasgow, KY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 4X4 E.B. 4.0
I have a stock (interior) 91 explorer. I was messing around in it the other day and got the sudden urge to change the 4x4 switch. To be honest i like the practicailty and usability of a toggle switch. I was just wondering if anyone's ever done this, or knows how to do it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I don't think you could do it. I think the module relies on a momentary signal to do what you want it to. I don't know what would happen if you put a constant ground or hot to the circut, depending what it needs for activation.

I could be wrong about this, try it I guess. Just make sure to have a spare module handy if you let the magic smoke out!

my motto with that is, if it ain't broke don't fix it, honestly I would do the t-case swap for manual for a more trouble free 4x4 system.

I wanna do something different no matter what it is, i hate the push button, it just doesnt feel as reliable as it could be.

I'm also buying another '91 explorer, this one has a blown head gasket. Easy fix, so i bought the $200 kit with the uper and lower intake gaskets, both heads, injector rings, upper plentium, etc. It's an easy fix, but i've never done it on an explorer before. Any tips, or things i should watch out for?

Hooking up a toggle in place of the button will not make it more reliable, those switches are rare to ever go out and if they do they're a dime a dozen. The only way I can see you making it possible is to have a toggle like a starter toggle so that it springs back because you cannot provide constant signal to the module and t-case shift motor you will burn one or the other up. If you're worried about dependability you need to look into a manual conversion.

If you are really good with your electronics...... which by the sounds of it, you aren't (no offense).... you could set up a circuit on a toggle switch that would in essence send a single signal to engage the 4wd when the switch is switched to the on position and would send a single signal to disengage the 4wd when the switch is set to the off position. You would in essence be adding an integrated circuit and a couple relays and complicating a circuit that is currently in essence a single momentary switch.

The more parts a system has, the more points the system can fail at. If you want anything more practical than push button 4wd, then switch to a manual transfercase. The current switches are a little more complicated than just being momentary pushbuttons too, so don't get the idea that it would be easy to replace them with momentary switches either.

I know what you are thinking, you want to put something like this in your dash
51PWYKX3YFL._SS500_.jpg

I'm also buying another '91 explorer, this one has a blown head gasket. Easy fix, so i bought the $200 kit with the uper and lower intake gaskets, both heads, injector rings, upper plentium, etc. It's an easy fix, but i've never done it on an explorer before. Any tips, or things i should watch out for?

Same as any other vehicle. As long as you are changing the head gasket though, you might as well spring for hardened rockers and pushrods. Only another 200 more from Delta Cams.

On the same topic of "changing" the push button:

I was thinking of trying to make that my anti-theft device. Link it to the fuel pump or something else to prevent immediate theft.

My thought was to pull it out of the dash and mount up a push button type toggle (on/off) behind it to engage and disengage my choice of protection.

On the same topic of "changing" the push button:

I was thinking of trying to make that my anti-theft device. Link it to the fuel pump or something else to prevent immediate theft.

My thought was to pull it out of the dash and mount up a push button type toggle (on/off) behind it to engage and disengage my choice of protection.

You mean someone may actually steal your ex ? I thought just have a first gen ex would be theft deterrent enough !

You mean someone may actually steal your ex ? I thought just have a first gen ex would be theft deterrent enough !

Here is how you install a theft deterrent system on a first gen Explorer. Park under a streetlight so they can see what they are stealing.

Back