• Register Today It's free!

Wattage Question

Bmwz389

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I'm lookin at gettin a new system and im kind of in the know with this stuff.

So if i get TWO 4 Ohm subs that run 500W RMS/1000W MAX, then I would need an amp that runs at 1000W RMS at 2 Ohms correct? That would be the case if I ran the subs parallel. Any help is great?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

audio question

yea that seems about right with the sub and amp question. however you do need to make sure you are buying a true wattage 1000 watt amp. and what kind of subs are they.

yep, youve got it correct. however, 1000wrms @ 1 ohm may be easier to find than 1000wrms @ 2 ohms. a pair of DVC 4 ohm subs or a pair of SVC 2 ohm subs may be easier to get that larger amount of power to.

Not true...I don't know if he still has it or sold it yet or not, but Drew(Expo 5.0) has an amp that does 1000wrms @ 2 Ohms...Rockford Fosgate Power 1000bd...it was rated for 1176 @ 2 Ohms actually...I should know, I traded him amps...if he still has it, that is the best bang for your buck...Fosgate is very trustworthy...

ToneDawg said:
Not true...I don't know if he still has it or sold it yet or not, but Drew(Expo 5.0) has an amp that does 1000wrms @ 2 Ohms...Rockford Fosgate Power 1000bd...it was rated for 1176 @ 2 Ohms actually...I should know, I traded him amps...if he still has it, that is the best bang for your buck...Fosgate is very trustworthy...

they dont make that amp anymore... but yes it is a great amp. Thats just one amp though. Fosgates new power series all do their highest RMS @ 1 ohm. The T10001BD does 1000x1 @ 1 ohm.

Crossfire VR1000D
Kicker KX1200.1
Concept 1200.1
Orion 1200D
Viper 1200.1
Theres lots of them crappy hifonics amps rated at 1kw or more @ 1 ohm
DEI 1500D
Resonant Engineering 12.1
Incriminator Audio 10.1

They all do their max power @ 1 ohm, an amp that puts out 1kw RMS @ 1ohm is generally going to cost less than an amp that does 1kw RMS @ 2 ohms.

hey hey now, don't forget about mtx thunder 1501d amps with 1500 watts rms at 1ohm or a jl 1000 watt amp

the JL does 1kw from 1-4 ohms, its power doesnt increase as the ohm load drops, plus it costs much more than the other amps listed, and doesnt put out as much power as any of them. Its still a VERY good amp though. If youve got the cash i wouldnt overlook it ;)

the MTX 1501D does 1500wrms @ 2 ohm @ 14.4v, not 1 ohm. They can be modified to run at a 1 ohm load and will put out 2kw+ however :D

i know this because i was told i was running 1.33 ohms on my 1501d from the stereo shop when i put 6 thunder 5500 12" subs on it at once

MB Quart makes nice 1000W amp too I believe.

Back