Wax & Cleaner Recommendations

1995E

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 + 11 Ex both XLT
What products are you guys using to keep your car clean? I just bought a bunch of Meguiars stuff like protectant for the interior, leather seat cleaner, tire shine. I also got some spray on turtle wax and some detailer. I don't know the difference between detailer and wax but do I need to apply them both or do I just add the detailer? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Truth is almost all of the waxes and other products on the market today will do the trick if applied as suggested. I currently use Turtle Wax Ice paste style wax because it goes on clear and does not turn the black molding white or grey like most of the other products. I prefer the paste style waxes as I believe they go on and wipe off easier and are slightly more durable, but that is just preference. If you really want the best exterior protection then a paint sealer followed by two coats (not necessary but preferable) of a good quality paste wax would do the trick.

For the interior I use the turtle wax Ice as well, not because it works better than anything else out there, because they all work pretty well, but it actually smells pretty decent too compared to some of the other things.

For the tire shine, get one that won't dry and crack the rubber, but also one that won't splatter all over the first time you drive the vehicle after applying it.

As far as your question about the wax and detailer, wax goes on first, detailer is meant for in between waxes to bring back the shine and add a very light layer of protection, not meant to replace wax.

These are all great products:

1) Wax and Protectant (paint and wheels) RejeX Wax
2) Leather Conditioner- Zaino Z10
3) Leather Cleaner- dilution of Lexol Leather Cleaner (orange bottle) and water
4) Tires, vinyl trim, tires, plastic- 303 Aero.
5) Glass Cleaner- make your own, mix in a spray bottle, 1 part denatured alcohol to 2 parts distilled water. Only use 100% terry cloth towels that NEVER have any fabric softener on them.

Either Griots Garage or Meguiars.

Spend some time trolling around over on the Meguiars forum for tips and how-to's...

CLICK

I am not plugging for a vendor from another forum, but I learned (and bought all my suppliers) from http://www.detailedimage.com/

You can ask Todd anything and he will show you the best product to use.

So, I just bought a bunch of Meguiar's stuff at Advance Auto Parts. I bought the Ultimate Detailer that beads water, Rich Leather cleaner and conditioner, Ultimate protectant for the interior, and High Gloss Tire Gel, some car soap, and turtle wax. I don't know if any of these products will damage my car or not but I used the soap, wax, and then the detailer and it worked wonders! Great shine! Amazingly smooth ones I added the detailer. Looks like a show car, very shiny!

I added all these products because I saw some deep scratches all over the place. I don't like how this car scratches so easy. I'd be scared taking it offroading.

I used to use turtle wax on my explorer, the water just rolled off for months. Then I got lazy and started taking my cars to the car wash for a wax. For the interior Im the type of person that likes to armor all the hell out of my leather, dupont teflon for the dash.

Thanks! By the way, does anyone know how to get the adhesive off of the rims? I don't know if I should scrape it with a razor or not. The dealer forgot to take all of the adhesive off when I first bought it and I just noticed it today.

Regarding our paint, and given that our vehicles were built in the last few months should we really be waxing so early?

I thought it takes more then a few months for the paint to actually cure?

Just afraid to damage the vehicle.

Regarding our paint, and given that our vehicles were built in the last few months should we really be waxing so early?

I had always heard that as well. I'm interested in the answer.

That's "old school". I put some RejeX wax on mine yesterday. Looks great. Only got a few panel done, and then ran out of day light.

Thanks! By the way, does anyone know how to get the adhesive off of the rims? I don't know if I should scrape it with a razor or not. The dealer forgot to take all of the adhesive off when I first bought it and I just noticed it today.

Denatured alcohol or citrus degreaser. You can buy at your local hardware store. Then, wax the area with a quality wheel wax or RejeX.

Razor blades are for your wiskers!:)

Bill is correct- From the factory, you can wax now. The heat used at the factory is much higher than at a body shop. If it's a body shop repair, let the paint properly out-gas by not waxing for 30-60 days.

OK Thanks I can start waxing as soon as the weather improves......I will grab some of that RejeX Bill mentioned.

Never heard of it but when you google it they sure rate it very high quality.

OK Thanks I can start waxing as soon as the weather improves......I will grab some of that RejeX Bill mentioned.

Never heard of it but when you google it they sure rate it very high quality.

A good place to purchase RejeX Wax is from a guy at www.bumperplugs.com. The owner is Eric. Great guy, and well know in the Porsche circles.

This stuff is great: http://www.meguiarsdirect.com/product_detail.asp?T1=MEG+G12718

I use it on my race car where I get hot rubber on the quarter panels from doing burnouts. The rubber won't stick to the paint with this product on there. Comes off real easy. I would imagine that the same would hold true for bugs and other contaminants which you would pick up in normal driving conditions.

Attachments

• wheelie_2-11.jpg
    wheelie_2-11.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 1,883

I tried PEP Boys, AutoZone, and NAPA but no luck. Might have to go with Amazon.com and get it shipped. 16OZ for $23

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thread on Rejex from the Meg's forum

Back