Waxes and such..... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Waxes and such.....

I just read a lot of the threads below discussing waxes; Zaino, Zymol, etc......

My experience with many different waxes and many different vehicles is that the quality of the wax job is directly dependant on the quality of the surface finish of the paint job. I've had a lot of friends complain about crappy wax because it was difficult to remove. I showed all of them how to do the Clay Magic treatment then use the wax they complained about to demonstrate how much easier it comes off. Once you remove the buried in grit, dirt, and road contaminants from the paint with the Clay Magic, almost any good Carnauba wax will yield satisfying results.

For my money, you can't beat a very good washing, followed by a thorough Clay Magic treatment and finished with Turtle Wax Emerald Series.

My only recommendation is to stay away from anything other than Carnauba. All of these other waxes, polishes, cleaners, etc.... have abrasive in them and will turn a clearcoat job to crap in a heartbeat.

JMO.

Originally posted by KMac
I just read a lot of the threads below discussing waxes; Zaino, Zymol, etc......

My experience with many different waxes and many different vehicles is that the quality of the wax job is directly dependant on the quality of the surface finish of the paint job. I've had a lot of friends complain about crappy wax because it was difficult to remove. I showed all of them how to do the Clay Magic treatment then use the wax they complained about to demonstrate how much easier it comes off. Once you remove the buried in grit, dirt, and road contaminants from the paint with the Clay Magic, almost any good Carnauba wax will yield satisfying results.

For my money, you can't beat a very good washing, followed by a thorough Clay Magic treatment and finished with Turtle Wax Emerald Series.

My only recommendation is to stay away from anything other than Carnauba. All of these other waxes, polishes, cleaners, etc.... have abrasive in them and will turn a clearcoat job to crap in a heartbeat.

JMO.

Have you tried any synthetic waxes before? Carnuba waxes are harder to apply and buff off. Carnuba can cause streaking in certain temperature conditions.

I tried some synthetic stuff given to my Mom from her Buick dealer when she bought a new car. It looked decent but did not last long at all.

I certainly haven't used all of the Carnaubas out there, but of the 7 or 8 I have used I didn't have a problem applying or removing any of them. Again, it is my belief that if you are having a tough time with either it's the surface finish of the paint, NOT the wax.

I gotta tell ya...I started waxing cars forty years ago and have used wax after wax on good finishes and poor. Yes its harder than hell to get wax off bad paint.
The last wax i was using was McQuires Gold Class (after the three step process) and thought it was the best so far. Then along came Zaino. You cant take an afternoon and finish the car. It takes a three day weekend the first time to get it all on. But I have never used any thing eaiser and nothing has even come close to lasting as long. There is no comparison after three months of MI winter. Zaino still shines and wax is long gone. It is well worth it to me cause I cant (dont) wax in the winter. I'll never(probably) use anything else.

Back