Waxing headaches on my 98 BLACK explorer | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Waxing headaches on my 98 BLACK explorer

My explorer doesnt like to get waxed for some reason, when I wax, which is about 1 time a month, and when I wax it it never comes off, It likes to stick to the paint, I mean I have tryed several different waxes, from meguires to turtle wax, and its all the same, it doesnt like to come off, and It breaks down really fast, so the paint looks dull in about 3 weeks...any help, on what you guys do?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried clay baring it too? That made mine alot easier to clean.

While we're on the subject, anyone used Meguiars Scratch X for swirl marks in the clear coat? I've got a decent amount of em on my hood and not sure how to get rid of them

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wouldn't, the Scratch X is just a makeup of sorts, the swirls will come back.

You need them to be rotary buffed out with the right cut cleaner, I'd let the pros do that if you arent accustomed to rotary buffers.

Zymol Rep...

I've said it before and I'll say it again... Zymol, zymol, zymol!

I have always had black cars (this makes number 6) and I have always polished my car with Zymol. Not only does the smell bring back memories of when I lived in Hawaii but it works excellent. I polish every 3 - 6 months and I do the hood about every month or so as that is the most suseptable to the weather... I even wax the roof.

My truck is a 1998 and the paint looks brand new. I had all the scratches wetsanded and buffed the other day... brand new!

I know you've all seen these but I just couldn't resist.

169737_12_full.jpg

http://images.cardomain.com/installs/169000-169999/169737_10_full.jpg

that was before...

Thought some more about your condition

May have been that at the dealership, they used an unapproved "fallout" remover, which is nothing but oxalic acid, to remove industrial fallout or ferrous particles before you got the vehicle.

If you did not purchase it new, it may have been done by an aution detail center (real butchers) or during the dealers recon of the vehicle.

Ford says in bulletins since the early 90's to not use "fallout"removers or clay on clearcoats.

The "fallout" remover has shown to Ford's paint engineers to create over the long term a "breaking down" of the resin system of the clear.

This makes the clear start to "powder off " the base coat, it becomes very porus, which sounds like your concern.

I had asked questions of you before, but never got a reply, and therefore am not sure why I am still trying to find an answer to your concern, but this may be one of many reason why you are having it.

Ketch:confused:

Ok, I have found some good wax, maguires gold, its giving me a good shine, but you have to be carefull, otherwise you can get some nice swirl marks..

Back