Ways to protect against theft... | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ways to protect against theft...

Lets get together and buy at discount prices some Clifford Avantguard 4 security alarms. I have been researching alarms for my X for a while now and this is the best out there by far. This alarm retails at some bestbuys for 1195, but if we get twelve people together I have a hookup where we can each get one for 426.54 PMessage me if interested. If there is any significant interest (>3) I will make a new post and make sure that it gets the necessary traffic for this thing to happen. This is THE BEST alarm in the world you guys!
97EddieB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well People if a thief wants your vehicle or its stuff bad enough. no matter what kinda security system you have they are going to get it. A good way to protect it is hid it. in all the compititon vehicles I have built 99.9 % of all the equipment has been hidden. If they won't take what they can't see or want. using tinting is a way to tell a thief you are trying to hide something. Steal me stickers is one sure way to have your stuff jacked. be cautious where you bump your ****. some thieves will even take down you licence # and track where you live though the DMV.

The best way I have seen aside from the James Bond exploding alarm system. to keep your vehicle from being Jacked is the Grant No Wheel No steal steering wheel removal system. If they can't drive it they in most cases won't try.

Tim

here is my 2 cents on this issue...

ive heard everyone say "use tamperproof screws/torx screws, bolt the box to the floor blah blah blah blah"

none of this is going to stop them completely...a simple flathead screw would be just as good as a torx, just because the simple fact its a pain in the rear to take out any type of flathead screw.....i know you've all tried it before......you start turning the screw driver and it slips off the head? yea you know what im talking about....

a torx screw is like using a philips screw....too easy.....

bolting the box down wont help one bit if they have a nice and hefty hammer, if they made enough noise to get into the vehicle a hammer smashing open a box isnt going to hurt them any

anyone knows an alarm will help you out.....but why spend all that money on a real alarm when you can put a simple LED some place on the dash or some place it can be seen? looks like you've got an alarm....but do you really? i thought about this idea in my 2000 sport....which has the blinking "theft" light, i would think just simply grounding the LED and hooking it up to that would make it blink at the same rate....you're call......and as i said.....this is just my 2 cents

I was held up at gun point once in my well lit driveway while a pair of theives took out my stereo. There was even a security camera system aimed right at my truck and the camera was obvious (but not on a recorder then). Sometimes you just get unlucky. The people that took mine got a Blaupunkt code protected radio that was set to lock if it was removed from battery power so I doubt it did them much good. One thing I did afterwards was to put a little siren inside the passenger compartment connected to the alarm system. It is a special kind that just screams like hell and you (or the crook) couldn't stand the noise long enough to stay inside the truck. It really is unbearable. Check with a few alarm resellers to see if you can find one of these. They are tiny compared to the standard type, but intensely loud. Make sure you get glass break sensors. I've seen where crooks break the windows to avoid tripping a door switch. Hope this helps.

For your guys & gals saftey NEVER NEVER EVER confront the little ***** that are stealing your stuff. Your life is worth more than a 500$ or 5000$ dollar system. Remember that! if you really want to screw with the would be theives rig a can a pepper spary to go off when you alarm is triggered (with a R/C Solenoid) inside your truck/car and sit back and watch(if you can get the chance) and laugh your butt off while on the phone to the cops. Yes i know its could be a pain to clean up its better then the other option of losing your stuff.

Gee pepper spray would suck if you accidentally set it off, or had a false alarm.

If you ever play with pepper spray BTW, wash your hands before takin a leak, that stuff burns tender skin.

don't pound your system in your neighbourhood and always park it in the garage

This is what you should do.

1. Don't show your system, cause anybody can be theft.

2. Don't put stickers off your equipments.

3. Try to make your system stealth.

4. And more important use common sense.

Theft rarely go around to see what they can find, they usually now what they are looking for cause they have seen you around or have follow you.

Here is a lot of good information in this subject, most of my security ideas come from here.
http://www.caraudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=146326

here is my 2 cents on this issue...

ive heard everyone say "use tamperproof screws/torx screws, bolt the box to the floor blah blah blah blah"

none of this is going to stop them completely...a simple flathead screw would be just as good as a torx, just because the simple fact its a pain in the rear to take out any type of flathead screw.....i know you've all tried it before......you start turning the screw driver and it slips off the head? yea you know what im talking about....

a torx screw is like using a philips screw....too easy.....

bolting the box down wont help one bit if they have a nice and hefty hammer, if they made enough noise to get into the vehicle a hammer smashing open a box isnt going to hurt them any

anyone knows an alarm will help you out.....but why spend all that money on a real alarm when you can put a simple LED some place on the dash or some place it can be seen? looks like you've got an alarm....but do you really? i thought about this idea in my 2000 sport....which has the blinking "theft" light, i would think just simply grounding the LED and hooking it up to that would make it blink at the same rate....you're call......and as i said.....this is just my 2 cents

You are right about torx, but you can mix the screws, if you put some flat, some torx, and some phillips that will be a PITA to take out.

Most of car theft won't have a hefty hammer, and you can always use chain and look, i have my box chained to my rear seat :D, an my amps are just under my box, so they can't take out box nor my amps. And my box fits under the cargo area cover this way my eX looks stock.

About the LED of the alarm that won't stop a theft, cause most of your alarms brain are under your dash driver side, they now that and as soon as they open your car they will smash the brain of your alarm and that's it.

In my case i have a fake brain of an older alarm under dash driver side, and my real alarm is hided on the passenger side all wires are black, cover with 3M tape, wire loom, and more tape, they can not be cut. I have a backup battery for the alarm in case the can reach my car battery, that way the alarm won't go off.

And put as much sirens as you can, i have 2 multitones in front, under the hood, 6 piezo siren inside the cabin, is really annoying to be inside my truck when alarm is trigged.

And since i put wheels to my truck i'll install 4 more sirens over each wheel that way if they try to steal the wheels they will have to deal with a 125dB siren near their ear, plus all the noise it makes from the other sirens.

Another tip is to put some lights like cop lights that flash when alarm is trigger that way it will call the attention of people around, cause people won't stop if they hear your sirens, but they'll definitely look if they see some flashing lights

i have the two way alarm system as well.. i sleep very light so it wakes me up.. and i carry a pistol.. and a shot gun.. ready for war. lol.. not to mention my truck looks like a narcotics unit.. blacked out windows, black police rims and tires.. etc.. and i dont hide my weapons when i get out of my truck either.. i make it known that im packing heat

oh yeah.. not to mention that my box weighs 250 pounds.. bolted to the floor of my truck.. and the single 18 mounted in the box weighs over a hundred pounds in addition to the box.. its bolted in with i think 16 bolts.. neither is quickly or easily removed.. no single person would be able to jack my system with any quickness unless they got my entire truck

i have the two way alarm system as well.. i sleep very light so it wakes me up.. and i carry a pistol.. and a shot gun.. ready for war. lol.. not to mention my truck looks like a narcotics unit.. blacked out windows, black police rims and tires.. etc.. and i dont hide my weapons when i get out of my truck either.. i make it known that im packing heat

Pictures? Your truck sounds very sexy.

I’ve been reading this with interest and some humor. I don’t know if there are any liabilities for this, and its painless.

What about a bright Orange Dye or Ink, something that would leave a stain that would last for days. . .fill up a bunch of small balloons with the dye and staple them to a board . .now add some screws that only poke through enough to burst the balloons when someone sits on it. .now cover it so it looks like a seat cushion. Next time someone breaks in look for the guy with the orange pants or A$$ . .

Don’t know what to do about the carpet and seat. . .make sure to remove it when not in use.

I've never had a problem with any of my rides, but I keep things pretty stealth and nothing is ever visible, even through non-tinted windows. Having a semi-stock looking ride helps, nothing says "high dollar audio system inside" like rolling on giant rims with low profile tires and limo tinted windows.

Best advice I can give on not getting your stuff ripped off in an area where you're likely to have your stuff yanked by the neighborhood kids is to have it known that life will be unpleasant for anyone who even tries it. A firearm isn't necessary, just a baseball bat along with the pager alarm works wonders. Given the odds that 9 times out of 10 if they even peep around the ride it sets off the alarm and you will be sure to show up with the cel phone in hand to call the cops or a camera to catch them in the act, they'll eventually get the idea your ride is off limits.

Other than that, the pain generators work great, along with a properly wired alarm that uses a LOUD police/ambulance level siren. Even the most experienced of theives will book it once it's getting close to a minute and they realize there's no way to shut off the noise.

If someone REALLY wants your stuff though, they are going to get it. There are tools that will get you in a locked vehicle in under a minute, have locking lugnuts off in seconds, and it's not too hard to get stuff out if you don't care about trashing the interior pieces holding it in. Probably the best way to completely avoid theft is having stuff that noone else wants...or at least having stuff that looks like they wouldn't want it.

a lot of people have their amp screwed onto the back of their box, that makes everything too easy if everythings together. i have my amp on the back of my seat. it lights up but it has 4 bolts that hold it on. i took the advise of a friend and the best/funniest thing to do is to use all different sized nuts and bolts and just strip the f*ck out of everything haha. make them work for it!

My amps install:

Now you see then:
DSC01744.jpg

Now you don't:
DSC01746.jpg

My box is over that cover.

3 options come to mind.

1.) bolt everything down, use a bolt that requires a tricky/weird tool to remove....if you've ever been to Europe, they got some weird screws and bolts.....maybe order some screws and tools from another country,lol, sounds crazy but it might just work, i've seen some of the foreign parts, they ARE really weird....and would be very difficult to bypass unless you had a tappit set or something....

2.) Make your truck look more like a police car.....put some real or phony lights up in your grille and near the rear view mirror, or maybe something else to hint a possible undercover car but DOESN'T scream out "cop car", that way you cant get snagged for impersonnating an officer....although technically you cant get charged for that unless your car SAYS police all over it or your dress like a cop or claim to be one.
Lights ARENT illegal to have and its NOT impersonnating a police officer, as long as your DO NOT use them while driving on public roads.
I know tons of people that got copy-cat cop light systems in their cars, which was for SHOW purposes ONLY.....it's not illegal that way.

3.) Rig a small loop/shocking device to your stereo or other metal panels the theifs would have to touch in order to steal or get in your car....have it rigged to a toggle switch or other means.
If the theif gets zapped, he will likely give up and move on to the next car....hes NOT GOING TO CALL THE COPS and say he got shocked while stealing a car....so DONT even go down that road!
Plus electric shocks DONT leave any evidence.....why do you think so many foreign countries and the USA get away with shock torture.....it doesn't leave any evidence 90% of the time, unless a very high current is used.
Im NOT saying to rig a shock device, its definately illegal.......but its also HARD to prove.....
Noone will be able to prove you intentionally tried to do it, you could just claim faulty wiring or static electricity.

They made a product back in the 90's called "shell-shock" which basically turned the entire shell of your car into a giant shocking platform JUST for robbery attempts or break-ins/theft. It's only legal in Africa now i believe.......the USA banned it a while ago.

I would imagine you could definately make such a product yourself, although i would consult a trusted electrician or study electrician books first.
Because that thing put out like 500,000+ volts......
So make yours very low voltage,haha.

Back