Wayy to much oil comin thru pcv. 06 stang 4.0 jus swapped into my 01 BoostedXPLR Sport | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wayy to much oil comin thru pcv. 06 stang 4.0 jus swapped into my 01 BoostedXPLR Sport

Devan

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 BoostedXPLR Sport
Callsign
Devman
Ok so I just threw a new motor in my truck out of an 06 mustang v6 because my original motor finally went at 320k. Had a little crack in cylinder 4. Now with this new motor I drove it in the mustang it drove very strong motor ran real good and now I have it swapped into my explorer along with my banshee supercharger kit with an eaton m90 off a thunderbird. I was planning to rebuild this motor but since my original motor went I didn't have time nd I just had to throw it in. So now I know a little blow by is common and I even bought oil separators for this motor because with forced induction you got a little bit more blow by. However my catch can is filling up in like a minute and you can see all the oil pouring out of the exhaust because it's dumping in through the PCV. Now it's also worth mentioning that the driver side valve cover is the mustang valve cover in the passenger side valve cover is the explorer valve cover. Now when this motor was in the mustang the PCV valve was on the passenger side and the vent on the driver side valve cover was just a straight tube no check valve. On the explorer it's vice versa so I just put the PCV check valve in on the driver side and the explorers passenger side valve cover already has a straight through no check valve. Now I'm thinking that maybe the PCV baffle on the underside of the mustang valve cover maybe different. because with the way the PCV was set up on the mustang I believe air would be able to go in as well as out on the driver side valve cover vent but on the stang passenger side it has the PCV check valve so air can't go in. I'm also aware that the PCV check valve is there in the event of a backfire going into the intake they don't want the flame to travel down the PCV back into the crankcase and create a crankcase explosion. However on my explorer motor it was backwards from that, the check valve was on the driver side valve cover and the passenger side valve cover had no check valve. So like I was thinkin before I think the pcv baffling on the underside of The Stang driver side valve cover might be different than that of the explorers driver side valve cover and I know that the driver side valve cover vent holes are in different positions, on the explorer one it is on the backside of the valve cover on the mustang one it's on the top of the valve cover but towards the back side. I would just look on Google images but I can't find an under side shot of the mustang driver side valve cover, I can find one of the explorer valve cover but not the mustang one which really doesn't matter anyway cuz I'm going to have to take it apart and pull it back off, I'll see what it looks like then LOL. I think I also read somewhere that there is supposed to be some kind of baffle filter element in the mustang driver side valve cover, something similar to that of NAPA part number 6978. I have not yet done a compression test or a leak down test on this motor although that is one of my next steps but I'm reasonably certain that this was not happening to the motor when it was in the mustang because the oil would be consumed in like a half hour. what happens to me is when I start it up you see just smoke pouring out of the exhaust from the oil being burned eventually it stops but I think it still consumes oil even after that. after I shut it down, pull the intake nd look in the throttle body you can just see it pooled in the bottom of my intake plenum and the catch can will be full. The catch can has a micron filter element in it I was also thinking that possibly maybe it's creating some kind of restriction and that's why the driver side valve cover might be picking up oil easier. either way I'm going to be pulling this valve cover off to rebuild the baffle if I have to install some kind of micron filter element into the hose maybe run my compression and leak down tests etc but if anybody has any ideas please let me know I'm sure there's some guys out there that have swapped a mustang 4.0 into an explorer before that can help me out cuz I feel pretty stupid right now LOL.

Day later update LOL: it might also be worth mentioning that I did have the passenger side timing chain tensioner leaking when I first put the motor in but that was because I replaced it. oddly enough with the new one the bottom side of the head isn't stepped like the original one and I even went back to double-check if the part numbers were the same from explorer to mustang and they were i i think. so I swapped out the tensioner with another one and it's fine not leaking anymore so that might have just been due to the way the head of the tensioner was shaped on the bottom side where it touches the cylinder head, I also figured that the step could be from the tensioner being removed and installed but the step isn't shaped that way I don't think I'd have to relook. but because of that leak oil dripped out of the passenger side tensioner and onto the exhaust and I had thought that a little bit of oil seeped into the exhaust and that's why it was burning oil at first I figured maybe it was in the cat's a little bit but then I found out what was going on with the PCV of course real quick. And it's also worth mentioning that I've noticed a little oil in the valley and I cleaned everything on this motor before I threw it in except for the rust.

I think you are on the right track with the baffling. It is the first thing I thought of when reading the headline of your post. It is the only logical reason I can think of to have that much oil dumped into a catch can in such a short period of time. Especially for a motor that runs well otherwise. Even horrendous blowby would take a little time to dump that much oil that fast and it would be easy to spot.

I think you are on the right track with the baffling. It is the first thing I thought of when reading the headline of your post. It is the only logical reason I can think of to have that much oil dumped into a catch can in such a short period of time. Especially for a motor that runs well otherwise. Even horrendous blowby would take a little time to dump that much oil that fast and it would be easy to spot.

Hey man thanks for the post. I sort of have a photographic memory. now if I'm remembering correctly I believe the metal baffle shield on the underside of the mustang drivers valve cover is like almost half the size of the one on the explorer drivers valve cover not to mention the mustang vent hole is vertical on the top of the valve cover and the explorer one is horizontal on the backside of the valve cover. I think I also just realized that it's the same thing for the passenger side valve covers about the vent holes being horizontal and vertical. But hey thanks for your input hopefully I can just throw the explorer valve cover back on it but if need be hopefully I can fabricate some kind of baffle I was even thinking about putting an oil cap vent filter on the driver side oil filler neck. Or possibly capping the intake and venting the PCV to atmosphere but I would just like to fix it and make it work right anything else would be temporary. Temp fixes are like using a lot of additives if you have to use additives it's time to fix or replace something LMFAO. But I'll keep you informed when I post my results but if anybody else has any other ideas or similar experience get at me thanks

You still sucking oil?

Back