Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Montrose, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Bronco '80 Toy
America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009

OpenCongress - Track bills, votes, senators, and representatives in the U.S. Congress

It's also been introduced in the House of Representatives as H.R. 1925.
Text of H.R. 1925 (111th): America’s Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009 (Introduced version) - GovTrack.us
The short version, Utah is closed.

From the SUWA site www.suwa.org

America's Red Rock Wilderness Act

America's Red Rock Wildenress Act was re-introduced in the 111th Congress on April 2, 2009 with 105 original cosponsors in the House and 15 original cosponsors in the Senate.

America's Red Rock Wilderness Act seeks to serve the public interest by permanently protecting more than 9 million acres of wilderness-quality land in Utah. The proposal, based on an exhaustive field inventory conducted by citizen volunteers, was first introduced in Congress by former Utah Representative Wayne Owens in 1989. Representative Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) assumed the role of House sponsor in 1993 and Senator Richard Durbin (D-IL) introduced the Senate version in 1997.

With each new Congress (every two years), the bill has been reintroduced with steadily increasing bipartisan support. The 111th Congress represents a real opportunity to gather the support and momentum needed to hold congressional hearings and ultimately pass America’s Red Rock Wilderness Act. Our goal is to reach 218 House cosponsors of the bill (more than half the House membership) -- an important step in passing this legislation.

All lands proposed for wilderness designation in America's Red Rock Wilderness Act are owned by the American public and administered by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM). The bill is supported by SUWA, the Wasatch Mountain Club, the Sierra Club, The Wilderness Society, the Natural Resources Defense Council, Earthjustice, and more than 200 other national and regional conservation organizations belonging to the Utah Wilderness Coalition.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Word from the Mtn. Bike forums is, this comes up like every year and never goes anywhere. I hope the same happens this time.

BTW, there is already a thread about this, I've already contacted my Congressman.

Word from the Mtn. Bike forums is, this comes up like every year and never goes anywhere. I hope the same happens this time.

BTW, there is already a thread about this, I've already contacted my Congressman.

Actually this is the original thread about this, the other thread is the repost.

Wow, no bueno! It has been brought up so the thoughts are out there which is a bad deal. I hate to see things like this come up repeatedly as legislators eventually get tired of looking at them an pass bills like this. I better be getting my tush out there and do some wheeling before anything passes.

Or convincing others to get out there voting so they never have a chance of passing...

There is an effort around Michigan to even close some popular mountain bike trails now, like over in Pinckney. Ridiculous!

And, it seems they aren't listening--

I received the following email this morning:

Dear Mr. Williams:

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for H.R. 1925, the America's Red Rock Wilderness Act. As an original cosponsor of this legislation, I am pleased to know we share the same view

I strongly believe that we must take steps today to preserve our public lands for future generations to enjoy. As you know, H.R. 1925 would protect over nine million acres of public lands in Utah from environmental threats such as mining, drilling, logging, and grazing. The legislation is pending action in the House Natural Resources Committee and you can count on me to continue to do all I can for its passage and enactment.
From clean air and water to the protection our public lands and wildlife, I have spent my career in Congress fighting for the strongest possible environmental protections. To learn more about my work in Congress or sign up for periodic e-mail updates, please visit www.waxman.house.gov and Democrats, Energy and Commerce Committee.

Again, thank you for taking the time to contact me and please continue to be in touch on all matters of concern.

With kind regards, I am

Sincerely,

HENRY A. WAXMAN

Member of Congress

THE PROBLEM IS I DO NOT SUPPORT THIS BILL!

So I responded with the following:

Mr. Waxman,

You are confused, I do not support H.R. 1925, and I ask you to not support it either. Designating public land Wilderness and restricting it's use is making it no longer Public Land. Vote against this or lose my support. As an original CoSponsor of this type of legislation I hold you responsible for stopping it. It is not your right to close public land to off road use, especially outside of your own state. This is my country also, and I disagree with this legislation.

Fred Williams
Technical Editor
Petersen's 4-Wheel & Off-Road

AND WOULD YOU BELIEVE THAT THE EMAIL BOUNCED BACK 3 TIMES! So not only did he not understand my first letter when I told him to vote against this, his email then did not allow me to respond. And this is what we get from Public Representatives? Ugh, I'm about ready to drive the Fun Buggy across america and park it on the steps of Congress to convey my point. Shut down our public lands and we"ll come wheeling on your doorstep.

Another article from Petersen's 4x4 off road

Congress to Vote on H.R. 1925 America's Red Rock Wilderness Act This Thursday!
Moab Might Be Gone Forever!
Posted September 29 2009 01:35 PM by 4WOR Web Editor
Filed under: Miscellaneous, Jason Gonderman

The Chairman of the Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests and Public Lands of the U.S. House Committee on Natural Resources has scheduled a hearing on October 1 to consider H.R. 1925, America's Red Rock Wilderness Act of 2009. This legislation -- which will ban off-highway vehicle (OHV) access to public lands to those who live and recreate in Utah -- was introduced by New York Representative Maurice Hinchey.

However, not a single Representative from Utah is supporting H.R. 1925.

Specifically, H.R. 1925 would designate more than nine million more acres as federally protected "Wilderness," and directly affect the Moab, San Rafael Swell and Chimney Rock areas (to name a few) in Utah. These popular OHV areas represent some of the most important remaining OHV recreation areas in Utah, and are some of the most popular with responsible OHV riders. The proposed Wilderness designation would also make the land off limits to ATV riders, mountain bikers and horseback riders.

Coming on the heels of the recently enacted Omnibus Public Land Management Act, which closed 2 million acres of public lands, this vast Wilderness bill will take away additional recreation opportunities currently enjoyed by local residents and visitors alike.

The AMA needs your help now to stop H.R. 1925. The fastest way to reach your U.S. Representative is to call them. You can find contact information for your elected officials by entering your zip code on AmericanMotorcyclist.com, clicking on "Rights," then "Issues and Legislation." Additionally, a prewritten e-mail is available for you to send to your Representative immediately by following the "Take Action" option and entering your information.

Please contact your Representative right away and urge them to oppose H.R. 1925.It's VERY VERY SIMPLE! Just click here...

http://capwiz.com/amacycle/issues/alert/?alertid=14061961

... and you will be taken to the AMA's (American Motorcycle Association) website. Enter your zip code and a letter will be sent to your representative urging them to vote NO on this bill. Do it NOW!

What I hate is the ORV community being bunched in with industry when it comes to this issue. WTF?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-redford/the-red-rock-wilderness-a_b_304281.html

Quote from article

"All of these lands -- some of the last great places on earth -- are owned by the public, but most of them remain vulnerable to industrial development. America's Red Rock Wilderness Act would protect them from oil and gas development, uranium mining, and off-road vehicle use. Meanwhile, hunters, anglers, hikers, and families could continue to enjoy these lands, including the renowned Cedar Mesa, San Rafael Swell, and the Book Cliffs."

End quote

Yeah, but how are you going to get there?

friggin retards

I sent my vote in! Man don't want to lose places to go wheel.Now that I have a rig to wheeling in.

Even if I never go there! Lets take away family fun places.That way our kids have one more place that's off limits. So we can have more kids doing things they shouldn't.

Exsample: complan about them riding skate boards on city side walks etc. But don't give them a place to skate. stupid if you ask me!!:rolleyes:

What time is the webcast? Is it over?

Edit: I looked into the hearing schedule, found the times and who was on the panels for this hearing.

No information was given to the outcome on that site. If anyone does have info, can you paste it or link it here?

Ok, wow.

I am down for joining the fight.

Every year I find myself wiping away the tears and saying" maybe next year we will go to Moab"

Coming from someone who has never been there, this could kill the whole hobby for me. I mean, why bother now?

I just read the entire thread over at the other "forum". I have to say, THIS SUCKS!

I had just gone to Moab, and Only spent a couple of days there, and felt inspired and rejuvenated with life after going. I felt a new zest for life sitting over the cliffs looking down on the Colorado river. The plans for returning were already spinning through my head long before I ever left.

The amount of protesters in the hearing was a disappointment. The amount of stacked lobbyist for this made it a one sided hearing.

I can't believe how many big companies that supported this. I am going to remember this when spending my hard earned money.

Sad part about this, is it can start a snowball effect. Who will they go after next? Where or when will it stop? Are they going to make it so you can't even have ORV's on private land? Will they reclaim private lands to "Protect" them from ourselves? As crazy as that sounds, it's not any crazier than the things that were being said during that hearing.

Example: The dust being made in Moab from ORV's is blowing into CO. This dust is making the snow melt at least 1 month in advance.

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? That is the ignorance that is upon us all. Sad part is our elected officials are listening to these radicals spewing there car salesman techniques.

Looks like a daily letter to my congressman is in order here.

OK, so, we take all our coleman stuff, dump it in a big pile and make em watch us buy the competition's gear. I know we all have plenty of coleman stuff yeah?

Have a big bonfire in the parking lot of Cabbela's!

They sell most of the stuff that is made by the supporting companies, & are one of the leading supporters of this bill.

Have a big bonfire in the parking lot of Cabbela's!

They sell most of the stuff that is made by the supporting companies, & are one of the leading supporters of this bill.

Read the pirate thread again. Cabelas responded and denied being a supporter of the bill.

Just to clear that up. We need to shoot the bullets where they will injure, so to speak.

Read the pirate thread again. Cabelas responded and denied being a supporter of the bill.

Just to clear that up. We need to shoot the bullets where they will injure, so to speak.

Sorry, I didnt see that post. I will go back & find it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, I didnt see that post. I will go back & find it.

Actually, I think I stand corrected. It was a smokescreen type response.

Back