• Register Today It's free!

Weak alternator and or battery?

AGodlyCanuck

Reaction score
City, State
Nelson, BC. Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer 4dr 4x4 XLT
So, I installed some Auxiliary flood lights to the front of me explorer the other day.

I plugged the switch source to the always on radio memory... Couple days later the battery was completely Flat... Will probably be looking for another source lol

But it seems that with my high beams, aux lights and heater on the battery guage is showing around 30%

I unplugged the battery while it was running and it would run but studder and then eventually die.

Where do you all think I should start with my diagnosing?

20181202_151603_HDR.jpg

20181202_150754_HDR.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you have a 95 amp alternator, you're getting close to break-even on charging with a lot of accessories running at once. I started with a stock 95 amp, and with high beams, blower on high, and wipers, I noticed the turn signals barely blinked, I mean, slowly, and this is at idle. That means the alternator is not keeping up.

Now, I'm in Northern MN, and this combination of accessories is pretty much the way it is most of winter, and looking at your pictures, you are in a similar situation.

I would do the following, in order, and you may not need to do all of them to get where you want to be, but none of it is difficult or expensive. And, I'm just thinking... if you did this first, you would have better performance from the stock headlights, and maybe not even need the aux lights. Anyway, I would suggest the following in order of expected improvement:

1) Your headlights appear to be glazed over. If you can't look in and see the bulb clearly, the light is going to be scattered coming out. A new pair of headlight housings runs about $60 on Amazon.

2) There is an aspect of the wiring in 1st gen explorers that reduces the brightness of the headlights. Power for the headlights has to go through a lot of relatively thin wire, through the headlight switch, through the low/high beam switch and then out to the headlights. There is a lot of voltage loss in that path. What you would like is a harness that uses relays and bigger wire to get the best voltage you can to the headlights. Now, here is a harness from LMC trucks. BUT, for some reason, there is an issue with daylight running lights, which I think might apply to you. But, hopefully you get the idea.

3) If you don't have a 130 Amp alternator, I'd get one. If you look at pictures of the 95 Amp vs the 130 Amp, you will be able to tell which you have. The diameter is noticeably larger on the 130 Amp. But, they are completely swappable, the bolt pattern, belt and connections are the same.

4) Everything so far is pretty basic. If you want to go the extra mile, then you have to address another issue. All alternators have low output at idle. So, you can improve that by using a smaller pulley on the alternator. I think this is the right one, but if you do this, please call them and verify it. You will need a slightly shorter serpentine belt to go with this. Vehicles manufactured to be police cars run this mod because they sit and idle so much.

Other stuff - If you run the aux lights, I'd run them off the battery with an in-line switch, and again, relatively large wire. Also, for what it's worth, I tried Bosch off-road high output bulbs. They helped but they burned out too quickly to be practical.

Anyway, good luck!

Anyway, good luck!

That is a buttload of information :)
Thank you!

We might live in the same climate because especially now in winter, HEater, Defrost, Highbeams, and wipers are all pretty much the norm.
Where would i get the 130amp alternator? I usually use RockAuto.ca but i only get 95amp options.

Yeah, I see that too. I have a ''94, so it was an option. It will bolt on and connect, but now I think I'd like to hear from someone who has put a 130amp alt on a '92, just to prove it out.

So... I'll throw this question out to others: If you have or had a '92, and put in a 130Amp alternator, were there issues?

I have a 91 and put on twin 6 amp aux fans and ran into this issue. My 95 amp was fine before though. I went to the 1994 listing on rockauto and purchased the 130 Bosch. No issues since. +1 it works.

im still not finding a 130amp on rockauto. I have heard that a alternator off of a 6.0L Powerstroke is supposively a bolt on?

Did you wire the lights with a relay?

I think the most likely scenario is that you caused a short in your radio memory wire so its drawing a higher load. Check the wire for amp draw. Radio memory should be less than an amp.

Did you wire the lights with a relay?

I think the most likely scenario is that you caused a short in your radio memory wire so its drawing a higher load. Check the wire for amp draw. Radio memory should be less than an amp.
i did use a relay, yes.
What else would be an always on source of power? I mean, i could just switch it to a ignition wire or something

Don't ever use wiring for stuff you need to get home for stuff you don't need. The radio memory should be fine for the switch, but the main relay power should be coming directly off the battery with an in-line fuse.

Back