Weak blowing Heat/AC | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weak blowing Heat/AC

MintyFresh

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT Explorer
Hey guys,

Vents aren't blowing air as hard as they should. Especially the vent in the center on the right, some vents worse than others. Defrosters/floor are bad as well.

Removed the blower and there were no clogs and the fan was intact. Sprayed compressed all over with no luck.

I have to change my thermostat and flush the radiator this week so this will be a good time for me to finally fix the issue.

I'm at a loss don't know what else to check.... hmmmmm thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The door that changes the air flow from outside air to inside air has a tendency to drop down over the intake of the fan motor. You will have to do a search, there are a lot of posts about the problem and several remedies.

The door sits above the blower motor and if you drop the glove box and look up towards the top on the dash you will see the opening .

Usually if this happens it also allows cold air to come into the passengers area.

Bob T
:usa:

The door that changes the air flow from outside air to inside air has a tendency to drop down over the intake of the fan motor. You will have to do a search, there are a lot of posts about the problem and several remedies.

The door sits above the blower motor and if you drop the glove box and look up towards the top on the dash you will see the opening .

Usually if this happens it also allows cold air to come into the passengers area.

Bob T

Hey that might explain why I've been feeling cold air coming in!

Yep more than likely. Now if you want to do the repair properly you have to remove the dash.

If ford does it I think it is something like $1500.00:eek:

I was able the secure the door in the closed position so it only takes in outside air.

I am sure someone will chime in with some locations of the threads on it.

Bob T

Sweet, I'll probably just cut the damn thing open. Saw a bunch of leaves and June bugs inside there anyway :sawzall:

I was able to get to the door by taking out the blower motor and removing the screening that was above it. Then I could reach up inside and move the door around.

Bob T

I had some metal like tape that they use on duct work. I made sure it was in the right position and reached in there and put several pieces around the edges.

But there have been other members that has used wire and wire ties from the out side into the flap itself.

Bob T

Back