• Register Today It's free!

Weak Fuel Pump?

Mazior R.

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer Lim.
Are fuel pumps weak on the earlier Explorers? I believe the one on my dads is going out because I don’t hear it and I know when a pump is good, you should be able to hear it. Also sometimes when I turn the key twice to prime the pump it starts up the first time when other times when I don’t do that it will take a second time to start it. His is a 2000 Limited with the SOHC if that matters.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The pumps were never weak, but they will go bad over time.

Check this thread for test procedures:

Yeah that’s true, it is 20 years old and almost 183,500. I remember my grandparents old one had a 99’ with 232k and the fuel pump was working good except it has a little whine to it. Do you think I should get the fuel pump assembly overhauled soon?

Just seen that other thread, didn’t see it at first but I’ll probably start with the filter since I already have it.

Yeah that’s true, it is 20 years old and almost 183,500. I remember my grandparents old one had a 99’ with 232k and the fuel pump was working good except it has a little whine to it. Do you think I should get the fuel pump assembly overhauled soon?

It's just replaced not overhauled. There should be a whine from the fuel pump, that's normal. You should be able to hear it when you turn the ignition on with the engine off. It will run for a few seconds then stop.

Back