Moderator-Stock 91-94
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Vail, Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT 4x4
Well, I just rebuilt Ranger x's old trac lok and installed it into the front diff (replaced the open carrier) of our 92 (d-35). Here is the wear pattern I came up with.

I'm not looking for a perfect pattern since this is going in the front end that doesn't see many miles a year. It looks ok to me but I'm looking for any input on it..

wear pattern -1 by maniak_az, on Flickr

wear pattern -2 by maniak_az, on Flickr

wear pattern -3 by maniak_az, on Flickr

wear pattern -4 by maniak_az, on Flickr

You can click on the pics to get to the page where you can see them at original size.

~Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks OK!

Pattern on DRIVE side, most important, is centered in depth of tooth, (good), and slightly toward inside diameter of ring gear, also good.

Coast side looks OK, it is less important. What is left to consider, is have you got GOOD backlash, and GOOD pinion bearing preload? When I set them up, if my backlash is a bit more than I'd like, I leave it, if I have a pattern like yours. imp

I didn't mess with the pinion, so I don't know what the preload is, and like an idiot I left the paper with the backlash at my friends, where we did the install. IIRc, it was .010-ish..

I was hoping to get lucky, and I think I did. Eventually this is going to get 5.13's but I just wanted to get the LS in with the current gears for now.

We just took apart the trac-lok, installed new clutches, and then took my old open carrier out. Once apart, we swapped the ring gear from my carrier to the Limited Slip carrier. I re-used the bearings and races that came with the trac lok, and even used the same carrier shims. I did use new ring bolts and pinion shaft lock bolt though.

~Mark

I didn't mess with the pinion, so I don't know what the preload is, and like an idiot I left the paper with the backlash at my friends, where we did the install. IIRc, it was .010-ish..

I was hoping to get lucky, and I think I did. Eventually this is going to get 5.13's but I just wanted to get the LS in with the current gears for now.

We just took apart the trac-lok, installed new clutches, and then took my old open carrier out. Once apart, we swapped the ring gear from my carrier to the Limited Slip carrier. I re-used the bearings and races that came with the trac lok, and even used the same carrier shims. I did use new ring bolts and pinion shaft lock bolt though.

~Mark
i would run it.when i did my front gears i just swapped gears on to the carrier and ran the same shims and all,it fell right in spec:D i heard 5.13 in a d35 is weak

No need to mess with the pinion if this was just a carrier swap.
If those are used gears, what you should do is pay more attention to the lesser-worn coast side of the gears rather than the drive side (ideally you would've checked the backlash with a dial gauge before you took it apart, but that's past now).

My opinion is it should be a little tighter on the BL, get that pattern down a hair lower on the teeth.

i heard 5.13 in a d35 is weak

More hearsay with no experience to back it up :rolleyes:

No need to mess with the pinion if this was just a carrier swap.
If those are used gears, what you should do is pay more attention to the lesser-worn coast side of the gears rather than the drive side (ideally you would've checked the backlash with a dial gauge before you took it apart, but that's past now).

My opinion is it should be a little tighter on the BL, get that pattern down a hair lower on the teeth.

They are used gears, well, 200k miles on the truck, but not very many on those gears since its the front..

I'm going to leave them for now but I hope to do the regear at the end of the wheeling season and that way I won't have to rush to get them in..

~Mark

I'd agree with that. Pattern could be a hair lower.

Back