Wear Tab on Brake Pads?

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
When installing brake pads on an Explorer do the wear tabs go on the outside or the inside of the rotor?

Have read that they should go on the outside but the Ford manual says they should be on the inside?? Which is correct.

Thanks the help :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The inboard pad has a wear indicator tab. The indicator tab must be oriented toward the brake disc surface.

Thanks for the help Scucci :p:

Also, can anyone tell me what area's need to be lubed on the caliper. I have aftermarket calipers and there is no slider bolt like stock. The hole that the mounting bolt goes into has a rubber accordian style, dust boot above it. Should I take the dust boot off and lube under it??

I Always hear that the slides should be lubed frequently but am not sure where to lube or what to lube on the calipers. Afraid that my pads are sticking a bit and causing a rubbing sound.

Much thankful for the help.

Yes, you want to lube the inside of those dust boots. Anywhere that the caliper floats needs to be covered, which in your case should only be the pin inside of the boots.

What about the brass type things on the caliper that the back of the pads rest in? I think I should lube those also sort of the groove thing the pads slide right to left in.

What about the brass type things on the caliper that the back of the pads rest in? I think I should lube those also sort of the groove thing the pads slide right to left in.

It won't hurt anything, but it won't do much good beyond 1000 miles or so. Since that part is exposed to the elements, the grease will either be washed away, or caked in dust/dirt and then washed away. It will make the break in period a bit quieter though.

I would hesitate to use any lube in that groove-sliding area. Brake dust might build up on it and glob off at inopportune moments, potentially getting lube on the pad surface for a surprise decrease in braking performance.

I would hesitate to use any lube in that groove-sliding area. Brake dust might build up on it and glob off at inopportune moments, potentially getting lube on the pad surface for a surprise decrease in braking performance.

I believe thats whats happening to my ABS on one side.

So I will just lube the slides and spray break parts cleaner on the brass colored sliding parts that have old grease and brake dust, sounds like a plan.

Back