Weatherstrip issues | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weatherstrip issues

My 2015 has splits on both sides - does anyone have feedback on replacements from Ford?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Our 2017 Sport with 25k miles has it happening on both doors. With a 100k mi. extended warranty I'll try my case. I checked two of my friends Explorers and both had it to some degree.

Our 2017 Sport with 25k miles has it happening on both doors. With a 100k mi. extended warranty I'll try my case. I checked two of my friends Explorers and both had it to some degree.
Weatherstrip is NOT covered under the Ford ESP.

Peter

My 2017 XLT has this problem on the driver's door. Will check with into replacement when the weather warms up.

I wonder if weatherstrip for my 2015 Ford Explorer had worn out rapidly after 42,000...any comments?

There are a lot of factors involved into the longevity of automobile weatherstripping. For example, our 97' Sport has perfect weatherstripping all the way around still, however it has been garage kept for the 18 yrs we have had it, and the vehicle was not used heavily either. Sunlight (UV RAYS) are the biggest detriment to most rubber components. Heavy usage also pays a toll, scraping, rubbing, like the hatch weather stip encounters at the bottom of the floor (exit) out back is probably the most likely to get torn from dragging cargo out the back during loading and unloading.

Hi,
I understand UV rays can damage rubbers but compared to other car brands, mine has damaged too fast I think. My car is always parked inside a garage and almost never outside.
Does anybody know where I can get a replacement?

There are a lot of factors involved into the longevity of automobile weatherstripping. For example, our 97' Sport has perfect weatherstripping all the way around still, however it has been garage kept for the 18 yrs we have had it, and the vehicle was not used heavily either. Sunlight (UV RAYS) are the biggest detriment to most rubber components. Heavy usage also pays a toll, scraping, rubbing, like the hatch weather stip encounters at the bottom of the floor (exit) out back is probably the most likely to get torn from dragging cargo out the back during loading and unloading.

Where is it damaged? Is the rubber cracked or torn? I assume this is for a 2015 model year, if that is the case, a dealership should be able to get it.

It’s torn and the dealer says they don’t have it, I live in Panama.
I’ll be in the Orlando, Florida área and planning to look for a dealer over there...
Hope I can get it
Where is it damaged? Is the rubber cracked or torn? I assume this is for a 2015 model year, if that is the case, a dealership should be able to get it.

Going to DISNEY WORLD?
I can say, that when I was sales manager, I NEVER told a customer "I am not able to get it" (part) for a machine we sell or service.

My 2017's driver side is torn, passenger side is looks great.

Not sure if I will bother replacing, as i am sure it will happen again.

2015 Explorer Sport w/ 50,060 on clock. Same weather strip issue on front of rear door, driver side. A rip about 8" long behind front door handle. Lowest cost replacement is from local Ford dealer at $37.10 plus tax. Replacement appears easy.

Welcome to the 5th generation Forum.:wave:

Peter

Our 2016 has this same issue (both driver and passenger sides). I replaced the driver side as they are inexpensive and easy to swap, but the new one split too (within a very short period of time). Not sure what to do at this point. Seems to be a design flaw or the doors need to be adjusted.
Where did you purchase the strips?

Where did you purchase the strips?
FYI, that member hasn't been seen here since April 6, 2021. You can check out the link in my post #51 or check that site if yours is different.

Petetr

An FYI. Bought my 2015 Sport used in 2018 at 43,200. I replaced the driver's side strip at the front edge of the rear door in March 2019 at 50,100 miles because it was ripped. It has now ripped again and I have the 2nd replacement strip ready for install. I'm widowed so the driver door gets all the use. Passenger door is fine. Not sure what can be causing this seal to rip, but it is very similar to what is shown in the photos earlier in this thread. P/N for the driver side strip is BB5Z-7825325-B for the driver side. First one cost $41 delivered and 2nd was $38. Both were sourced from Ford parts suppliers on eBay (lowest cost).

Thanks for the follow-up Peter. I'll check with Bear Lake Ford in 3 years when I need to replace the strip again. Now if I can figure out what's causing the memory steering wheel to work intermittently.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2015 Explorer Sport w/ 50,060 on clock. Same weather strip issue on front of rear door, driver side. A rip about 8" long behind front door handle. Lowest cost replacement is from local Ford dealer at $37.10 plus tax. Replacement appears easy.
I have an issue with the weather strip from the front windshield on the bottom part that connects to the cowl it started deteriorating and detached completely from the windshield.

Back