WeatherTech Side Window Air Deflectors | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WeatherTech Side Window Air Deflectors

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had bought a pair of the ones offered by Ford as accessories. The passenger side one came off after a couple of weeks while driving so I pulled the others off. Awaiting in channel to be released (impatiently I might add).

Not surprising considering how easy it was to peel them off. The ones on my former '14 Sport are still solidly stuck on after almost six years and will take serious effort to remover. The new version definitely stinks, so hopefully someone does better soon enough. Will report back whenever I get a reply from Lund.

So as an update to this, I have been chatting with one of the reps at Auto VentShade, and it turns out they can actually be mounted lower to fill that front gap I was griping about. Probably should have noticed that the first time, but figured it could be odd since they aren't flush with the top edge of the door now. Always worth a shot. Since I cracked one, hopefully they'll warranty it, then I'll either just get a complete set or have to break out the 3M body tape to re-install them myself.

In any case, there is hope for these after all...

20200414_153823.jpg

I think mounting it lower won't be satisfactory. The contact area for the tape is already limited and now you are reducing it so that not all the tape may contact the trim. And that rubbery trim is already not the best surface for the mounting tape to adhere to. I think the explanation that you can mount it lower is just a lame response for a poorly designed product.

At least it's only a matter of time before some in-channel deflectors will start showing up.

I think mounting it lower won't be satisfactory. The contact area for the tape is already limited and now you are reducing it so that not all the tape may contact the trim. And that rubbery trim is already not the best surface for the mounting tape to adhere to. I think the explanation that you can mount it lower is just a lame response for a poorly designed product.

At least it's only a matter of time before some in-channel deflectors will start showing up.

Thinking something like that as well. They definitely peeled off easily compared to the versions adhered directly to the frame, so that does concern me slightly. In any case, the rep at Lund is doing me a solid and sending out a new set, so I'm willing to try again and see how long they last. With this design and the rubber trim extending to the top of the door frame, the in-channel version may just be the best option.

JRGOFFIN, Any chance you could post a pic showing the whole front window with the lower placement? Maybe when you get the new set?

JRGOFFIN, Any chance you could post a pic showing the whole front window with the lower placement? Maybe when you get the new set?

I sure will. The new ones might be in tomorrow, so hopefully I’ll get on it over the weekend, especially since the Lund rep is also requesting pictures.

Check out the two stock pictures of the window deflectors. There is clearly a gap before it reaches the side mirror attachment so apparently it's just the way it was designed.

Those are not the same style since the new version is considered “low profile” and are essentially flat. The photos on the Ford Accessories site leave a lot to be desired.

That Peter, is what I dislike about second and, third party vendors. In as much as they don't discount Weathertech products, one might just as well order directly from Weathertech. Several yrs ago on a visit to Chicago, I stopped at their hq in Bolingbrook, IL. It is directly off I-55 and IL 183. I was informed that backordered items when such became available were shipped first to their mail order/in store buyers first. Then, to the second/third party resellers. This really can delay things. The smaller mom and pop web based resellers actually have to order from a warehouse distributor here in the states. I would imagine it is so in Canada. Thus, a large w/d such as Summit Racing or Reliable Automotive will get their orders filled after mine because I order direct using the WT website. The poor guy that bought from a third party reseller is at the back of the bus so to say.
Mike

Weather tech and husky are both co tracked to sell at same price as the manufacturer. When they offer a discount everyone does. I had worked out a group buy with Husky back when the 5th gen first launched and they gave the members here a significant discount (about 40% off) and free shipping to US and Canada. They actually did this for us for about 2 1/2 years till they redid their contracts with 3rd parties and had to stop it since they were requiring them to sell at the same price. It was great while it lasted... so just explaining a little behind the lack of discounts etc.

Had a chance to install set #2 of these deflectors since it was a bit warmer today and without snow. I have mixed feelings about them since the fit is not as precise as the version used on the 5th Gen models due to that front deflector having a tab that hooks in under the side-view mirror trim. With these, I had to just move them as far forward as possible so the front edge of the window wouldn't be exposed, and it doesn't take much to do so. This design only allows the window to come down about 1/2" so allow venting without letting in any water.

Here's basically how they look (hadn't peeled the protective film off yet). I'll give them some time, and if any come loose or cause any odd noises, they'll be easy enough to pitch. An in-track version will definitely be the way to go thanks to the design of the window frame from '20-on.

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

Thanks jrgoffin for posting the pics. While that solves your initial concerns, it opens up a huge new aesthetic concern with the rear gap. Ugggh. Why couldn't they have just made that front piece an inch longer!?!?

Yeah, both pieces need to be an inch longer since the gap in between is just a hair over 2". They'll work for now, and I'll be interested to hear what the rep at Lund thinks since he wanted the same pictures.

They are not cut to fit. That is evident. Btw, O'Reilly auto parts carries Lund products.

Yes, I know about O'Reilly, but they would have been special order. It was just as easy to have the dealership get the accessories I wanted in one order, especially since everything arrived in a day, and they still gave me a nice deal on the items I purchased.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back