• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Web-enabled toilets?!? Are they serious??

Mikes95XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Bartlett, IL (currently in Bloomington for school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
I'm not even kidding. Here is an article from ExtremeTech that I read today....

"Forget the newspaper. MSN's U.K. division has created something new to do while on the john--surf the Internet.
MSN U.K. has taken roaming (and communal hygiene) to a new level with the "iLoo", an Internet-enabled toilet that the software giant hopes will debut at various concerts in the U.K. this summer.

Users will be able to access the "WWW.C." using a wireless keyboard and a built-in plasma screen. MSN U.K. is encouraging advertisers to come up with their own custom-designed toilet paper to prompt users to visit web sites.

The iLoo will be mobile and is part of MSN's mission to allow instant logging on "anytime and any place", the company said. Users will be able to sit down, undock a wireless keyboard and conveniently access the Internet.

A plasma screen will be located directly in front of them which can be adjusted to a desired height level. MSN is also in talks with toilet paper manufacturers to produce special web paper for those in need of URL inspiration, the company said.

The iLoo will be broadband enabled using WiFi technology. There will also be a six channel surround sound speaker system under the sink unit for use with listening to music from the Internet.

"The Internet's so much a part of everyday life now that surfing on the loo was the next natural step," said Tracy Blacher, marketing manager at MSN said in a statement. "People used to reach for a book or mag when they were on the loo but now they'll be logging on! It's exciting to think that the smallest room can now be the gateway to the massive virtual world."

The outside of the iLoo will also be fitted with a screen and waterproof keyboard so the iLoo's next customers have something to do to pass the time. The iLoo is entering the construction phase, MSN U.K. said."

Here is the link to the site:
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,3973,1053130,00.asp

Are they serious? Are we going to come out of the movies to use the John and sit down to check our email?? :rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Rick

Pumpkin Pilot
Staff member
Admin
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Wayoutin, Aridzona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XL Pumpkin Edition
Callsign
AB7FH
I want it in my house. That will let me get rid of my stack of 4x4 magazines in the "library":D

diablo5969

Reaction score
City, State
Versailles, KY (Home) Poughkeepsie, NY (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Honda Pilot LX
I think it's kinda cool in a way. Eventually everything will be hooked up to the Internet. Welcome to the Twilight Zone........

But anyway, I'd be happy to try it, but not at a concert. I don't even want to imagine what the surface of that would be like :eek:

Jefe

Reaction score
City, State
Clarksville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4x4
Originally posted by diablo5969
But anyway, I'd be happy to try it, but not at a concert. I don't even want to imagine what the surface of that would be like :eek:
My thoughts exactly

section525

sextion525
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Red Bluff, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
1975 Ford Bronco 4x4
My roomie already does this with his laptop and our wireless DSL. :rolleyes:

He gets embarassed if you IM him and ask what he's doing. :D

MrShorty

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Spanish Fork, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT and '87 Bronco II
What will this do to the average time one spends in the john. Consider the concert situation. Do they really want someone holed up in the loo surfing the net while 20 other people are waiting for their turn to use the facilities?

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
I've been on the board with my laptop and wireless card. :) Heck, maybe I am responding from the throne right now! (Nah)

Howard

Moderator Elite Explorer
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Milton Keynes
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 SOHC UK SPEC
You may laugh but I'm currently involved with a home automation project and yes the customer wants network points in the toilet. I just hope he doesn't do video conferencing from there !!!!

taxx

Make em say Ugh
Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, IN
Year, Model & Trim Level
73 EB
hell I already use my wireless lan with the laptop on the "loo":D

Black Magic

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
St. Louis, MO
Year, Model & Trim Level
Explorer Street
Been there son that. Using the laptop in the "Library" for years. Fist on a 100' phone cord. Now wirelessly.

Jason_25

Elite Explorer<br>ECX Member
Reaction score
City, State
New Bern, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 Explorer "Expedition"
What a stupid idea. I can't beleive they are actually serious about doing this. Why would you want to use the internet at a concert? Normally I like to spend every second watching who I paid my money to go see.......

Mikes95XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Bartlett, IL (currently in Bloomington for school)
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Anyone listened to the news or anything like that recently? They're talking about this like crazy.... it was on CNN last night!

Nate1

All 4 wheels locked
Reaction score
City, State
Gainesville/Tampa, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 FZJ-80
And now, for the next segment of our gameshow, its 'What will Dean Kamen come up with next?' :D
Anybody? Okay, I am a loser
(PS: Thats the segway guy, I probably spelled it wrong)
-----Nate