• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

Web Hosting - Linux or Front Page

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Well, title says it all. Have a domain, moving on up to web space and a POP account. Which is better for a normal user? Thanks! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
What's the question? Linux is an operating system, Front Page is a web design program.

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Doh. Linux hosting or Microsoft hosting.

I'm upgrading my domain from a referrer to a full domain with mail, FTP, virus scanning, etc. I just wanted to know if one has benefits over the other. Mind you, all I will do is log in with FTP, upload pages, and check POP3 with Outlook.

Thank ye.

huskyfan23

Rah no Hans Bwix
Reaction score
City, State
WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 XLT 4x4
Unix hosts usually have more uptime because it's a more stable o/s. I go through www.datacities.com some of the best prices I've found with LOTS of space.

Ritsui

Pilot of dogcraft
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Lake Arrowhead, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Sport 4x4
What is a "normal user" (what do you need)?

If all you do is upload some files and use a few email accounts, there shouldn't be any significant difference to you as a user other than price. Linux hosting is generally going to be cheaper for the same feature set simply because it's open source. If you plan to write code, then your hosting choice can probably be decided by whether or not you use ASP/ASP.net or MS-SQL. For those, you'll need a Windows host. PHP/Mysql are supported under both Linux and Windows.

As an administrator of both Linux and Windows servers, I can assure you that Windows hosting in not significantly less reliable or less secure than Linux hosting. Windows servers inevitably have a bit more down time because patching will sometimes require a reboot, but outside of that it's all about the administration. In my opinion, Windows is simply more difficult and expensive to train for, so there are fewer truely qualified admins.

Flounder

Owns 10,000 Marbles
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'08 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Ritsui,

You hit the nail on the nead - normal as in webspace/POP3, which I can handle, and uploading in FTP, and maybe one cgi script. And that's all she wrote.

Thanks for the answers guys!