Weekend Project Planned - Need Info | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weekend Project Planned - Need Info

B94Sport

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Geneva, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Subaru Impreza WRX STi
Alright everyone, this weekend I am planning on doing the following preventative maintenance/problem resolution work on my '94 Auto 4x4 Sport:

1) Replace spark plugs and wires
2) Replace fuel filter
3) Retorque lower intake manifold bolts
4) Replace tranny filter with new improved version from bulkparts.com and replace reverse servo O-ring
5) Check/retorque valve body bolts

Here is the dilemma: Once I start taking things apart, I will have no way of going to an auto parts store to buy anything that I will need, because I have only one car, my roommate will be out of town, and so will my girlfriend.

I have spark plugs, wires, and fuel filter covered. For items 3 through 5 on my list, what will I need to finish the job? I am talking about socket sizes and depths, replacement gaskets, special tools, fluids, anything. Any help from those who have done these jobs will be greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

To replace the fuel filter, you will need a special line tool. The tool is available from any auto parts store for under $10. I got one from advance auto that has 4 different size ends for the various Ford fittings (fuel and A/C).

Since you will need to drop the pan to change the tranny filter make sure you can a new pan gasket to install. Plus you will need ATF to replace what comes out of the pan. I would buy around 5-6 quarts just to be sure. :thumbsup:

Thanks guys... I have the line tool for the fuel filter, plety of ATF, and all the gaskets/seals I will need for the tranny work because I ordered the overhaul kit from bulkparts.com.

What about the intake manifold retorque job? Will I need a new gasket? What size/depth sockets will I need? I have limited sketchy information from multiple sources but I would like to get some good info posted to one place. I think I need torx sockets for that...

I plan on cleaning out the upper intake manifold and spending a lot of time (Saturday and Sunday if the weather cooperates) on this. I will also take some pics and do a good writeup if all goes well.

If you're re-torquing the lower intake, I assume that you already have a Torque Wrench (0-150 ft/lbs or 0-150 in/lbs), a universal socket, two 3" extensions and a Haynes manual? You'll need that for the tightening sequence and the torque specs. I think that you'll need a #12 and #13 metric socket. If you're just tightening, you wont need a gasket set.
As far as the tranny filter. 3 quarts of fluid is all that drains out, buy 4 just in case. You'll need a scraper and some sandpaper or a wire wheel to get the old gasket off.
The fuel filter needs the special duckbill disconnects. The lowest two sizes (5/16 and 3/8 i believe) are the ones that work, buy em or rent em from anywhere. Also need patience and finesse. Remember to unplug the inertia switch and run the truck til it dies before trying to unplug.

use a FLASHLIGHT while changing the fuel filter, less likely to make a spark

Yes, right now I have:
  • 60-960 in-lb (5-80 ft-lb) torque wrench - 3/8" drive
  • Standard socket wrench - 3/8" drive
  • Standard socket wrench - 1/4" drive
  • 3/8" drive extensions and universal socket
  • 1/4" drive extensions and universal socket
  • Standard and metric 6 point sockets - about 36 total
  • 18mm 6 point socket - I was told this was needed for tranny - my socket set did not have it, so I bought one
  • Spark plug socket - 1/4" drive
  • A few miscellaneous torx bits
  • Duckbill AC/Fuel line disconnects
  • Transmission seals/O-rings/gaskets
  • Scotchbrite pads and Gumout for cleaning
  • Transmission fluid and Trans-X for refill
By "#12 and #13 metric socket", do you mean 12mm and 13mm? If so, I've got that covered.

So is there not a gasket between the upper and lower intake manifolds? Because you do have to remove the upper intake manifold to retorque the bolts on the lower intake manifold, correct?

Thanks for all the help so far guys! By the time Friday rolls around, I should be all set!

Yes on the gasket

I have taken a few of them upper intakes off and haven't had the gasket tear yet. But get a new one to be sure.

Re: Yes on the gasket

Originally posted by dzk007
I have taken a few of them upper intakes off and haven't had the gasket tear yet. But get a new one to be sure.

That's what I thought. Where can I get one of these gaskets? How much is it going to cost me? I asked at AutoZone last night and the guy pulled up a gasket that cost $34... I figured it must have been a whole kit or something because aren't gaskets usually about $1?

If you're just tightening the bolts you wont need the set. If your removing the upper and lower manifold then you'll need gaskets.

If you remove just the upper maifold and tighten the intake bolts that way then you'll need this set:
Valve+Cover+Gasket.jpg

If you remove the whole enchilada (aka lower manifold) then you'll need this set as well:
Intake+Gasket.jpg

I will be removing just the upper intake manifold and tightening the bolts on the lower intake manifold... Where can I get that gasket set in the first picture and how much will it run me?

You can get it at any auto parts store. Make sure you specify that you want the valve cover gasket set. It'll run you about $11. Consider putting locktite on the lower intake bolts so that they dont come out again. This makes it a bit dicey if/when you ever need them out. You might break one or have some troubles. I did the entire intake this spring and I'm really kickin myself that I didnt put locktite on those bolts cus after I torque em they loosen every couple of months and the truck pings.

If you're gonna Loctite your bolts down, I suggest using Loctite 242. This is a medium strenght removable threadlocker. We use it all the time at work for bolts we think might need to come out at some point. It holds really well, but you can remove the bolts when you need to.

How much more work would it be to remove the lower intake manifold and replace that gasket as well? What is the name of the gasket set I would need then? How much would it cost? If it's not too difficult or much more time consuming, I figure I might as well... My truck has 120,000 miles on it.

If you do just the upper gasket, all you have to remove is the upper manifold and get a bit creative trying to get it off with all the fuel wires, vacuum lines, a/c lines and such still on there. It can be done but you just have to be patient and move the lines around accordingly.

If you do the lower gasket, you have to remove the upper manifold, valve covers, remove the fuel rail and injectors (be very careful!!!), thermostat & housing, belt and tension idler, plug wires & distributor, a/c compressor, alternator & housing, etc. Its not really that complicated, just a hell of a lot more involved. Unless you see a very visible drip coming from the back of your oil pan, I'd just stick with tightening. If that doesnt work then you can rip the lower intake off and redo the gaskets. Be on the safe side and just tighten. If that doesnt fix the ping and oil leak then do the whole thing. You'll know within a week if the tightening worked and can redo the following weekend without having to replace the gasket you just put on. They take a lot of heat and time to fully seal such that you'd break them by trying to take em off.

The lower intake gasket set is $35.

Wow thanks! I will just tighten the lower intake manifold bolts then... I was just told that I may need to come in to work on Sunday morning at 4 AM to oversee some work with Sweden (We have to do everything in terms of their time zone), so I will not have all of that time that I originally thought I would have to work on my truck. Basically, if I start on Friday night, I need to have it done by Saturday night. This includes: Replacing the vacuum modulator valve in the tranny, replacing the reverse servo O-rings, and replacing the tranny filter, changing the spark plugs, the fuel filter, removing the upper intake manifold and cleaning it out (bought a ton of Gumout) and retorquing the lower intake manifold bolts. Quite a bit of work to fit into that time frame! :eek:

So if I:

Retorque lower intake manifold bolts

This will get rid of my pinging sounds? Thanks.

Retorquing and cleaning the MAF filament has cured the pinging for about 3/4 of the first gen members.

The weather was decent last night and I had some free time after work, so I decided I would get a jump on things and changed my fuel filter. It was nowhere near as difficult as some other posts that I had read had made it out to be... Took me about half an hour. It really needed to be changed! I feel dumb for letting it go for 50,000 miles and I am surprised that my truck was even running! :p From now on, the fuel filter gets changed with the transmission fluid.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Originally posted by B94Sport
It really needed to be changed! I feel dumb for letting it go for 50,000 miles and I am surprised that my truck was even running! :p From now on, the fuel filter gets changed with the transmission fluid.

How did you determine that the filter needed to be changed?

Thanks.....

Back