bigred4x4

Off-road enthusiast
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
chesapeake virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 xlt 4x4
I was wheeling down in the obx (beach driving) this past weekend and the conditions where particularly bad very soft and extremely rough I test my suspension trying to maintain momentum but made it just fine stayed for the day doing some surf fishing and left late at night on the way back to the beach entrance about halfway down I started to feel resistance like driving through a soft section I looked down and my check engine light was on and 4wd lights flashing I lost 4wd! luckily it was now low tide and was able to make it out in 2 wheel as I pulled over to air up it wouldn't go into 4 wheel lights would flash if I tried I hooked up my scanner, cleared the fault code ( o2 sensor) shut it off and back on and everything worked again this has happened once before awhile ago while pulling out a Toyota (jumped out of 4lo) and was able to fix it in the same manner. Sooooo what am I looking at transfer case clutch on its way out ?

One weird thing I might add is it seems the more my pcm "learns" weird things happen and are fixed by a reset like I had tcc lockup issues even after completely rebuilding the transmission (didn't start up until 3 hours into a drive) and fixed it by a reset it's always the really long drives that awaken the various little gremlins never happens around town. Could my pcm cause the temporary 4wd crap out? Just recently replaced the gem and cleaned the hall sensors and the pcm I replaced awhile back because the old one got fried but the root cause of that was repaired before the pcm replacement

Back