Weird annoying brake issue

dkeller

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Brakes work normal mostly all the time.
But sometimes when I want to stop the car I feel a light bump on pedal and if i don’t let the pedal go and step on it right after I don't get a chance to stop the car.

It's just one single bump and it’s like all brake power is lost. When I press again it’s all good.

New fluid, new pads, machined rotors, no air in lines. New brake master cylinder. Booster works ok and no leaks.

Today at about 40 wanted to stop as fast as the car could and it was like there was no power. ABS didn't kick in either. Wasn’t really necessary because wheel wouldn’t have blocked.
And this is the strangest part…
Right after a complete stop pedal moved down like a 1" as if it would have lost pressure.

:exp::(

Brakes work normal mostly all the time.
But sometimes when I want to stop the car I feel a light bump on pedal and if i don’t let the pedal go and step on it right after I don't get a chance to stop the car.

It's just one single bump and it’s like all brake power is lost. When I press again it’s all good.

New fluid, new pads, machined rotors, no air in lines. New brake master cylinder. Booster works ok and no leaks.

Today at about 40 wanted to stop as fast as the car could and it was like there was no power. ABS didn't kick in either. Wasn’t really necessary because wheel wouldn’t have blocked.
And this is the strangest part…
Right after a complete stop pedal moved down like a 1" as if it would have lost pressure.

:exp::(
Bleed the ABS module.

Back