• Register Today It's free!

Weird electrical issue

Tom Champagne

Reaction score
City, State
St. Joseph MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Limited 4WD
My wife’s 17 Limited experienced a weird electrical issue today. While turning, the whole display went black and car felt like it was going to die but it didn’t. She told me this has happened a couple of times in the past week (but neglected to tell me). Could this be a sign of a failing battery? I also changed 3 settings via Forscan a month ago (Bambi mode, led turn signal mod and double horn honk). Not sure if that has anything to do with it but like I said that was a month ago. Any ideas? TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did previous incidents also occur only when turning? It doesn't sound like a battery issue. If it was, I'd think you would have received a warning of some kind. Bambi mode would definitely draw more power when in use but I still doubt it would affect the battery to the extent that it would cause this issue. According to the Manual, a low battery condition should display this; "Low Battery, Features Temporarily Turned Off". I'm guessing this warning would pop up on the main screen.

Peter

Could be a weak battery I would think. Looks like electric power steering is connected to a 100 amp fuse in mine. A week battery coupled with low output from the alternator with low RPM while turning, and a heavy load from electric power steering could lower battery voltage quit a bit.

Does it crank slow when you start it?

Could be a week battery I would think. Looks like electric power steering is connected to a 100 amp fuse in mine. A week battery coupled with low output from the alternator with low RPM while turning, and a heavy load from electric power steering could lower battery voltage quit a bit.

Does it crank slow when you start it?
It cranks just fine.

Did previous incidents also occur only when turning? It doesn't sound like a battery issue. If it was, I'd think you would have received a warning of some kind. Bambi mode would definitely draw more power when in use but I still doubt it would affect the battery to the extent that it would cause this issue. According to the Manual, a low battery condition should display this; "Low Battery, Features Temporarily Turned Off". I'm guessing this warning would pop up on the main screen.

Peter
Nothing showed up on the display. According to my wife she said when she put on the blinker to turn she said the screen went blank and the signal noise went silent and the car sputtered but came back to life. She’s paranoid now that she’ll get stranded somewhere.

Nothing showed up on the display. According to my wife she said when she put on the blinker to turn she said the screen went blank and the signal noise went silent and the car sputtered but came back to life. She’s paranoid now that she’ll get stranded somewhere.
I believe the turn signals are controlled by the BCM. So if that went 'dead' that might explain the dash going out. Was the Sync 3 screen affected as well? Fault finding would be a little easier if this happened every time the signal was activated. I wonder if it could possibly be a bad ground connection?

Peter

I believe the turn signals are controlled by the BCM. So if that went 'dead' that might explain the dash going out. Was the Sync 3 screen affected as well? Fault finding would be a little easier if this happened every time the signal was activated. I wonder if it could possibly be a bad ground connection?

Peter
I think the fact that she was turning was a fluke. She said it was hard to start a couple of days ago but did start. I’m going to get the battery checked. Might be strong enough start the car but not strong enough to run all the other accessories

I think the fact that she was turning was a fluke. She said it was hard to start a couple of days ago but did start. I’m going to get the battery checked. Might be strong enough start the car but not strong enough to run all the other accessories
That is a good thing to do to start off. Have them check it under load. The thing is that there was no warning message of any kind to indicate a 'low battery' condition. Good luck Tom. The battery would be the easiest item to fix and have been known to cause "weird" issues.

Peter

That is a good thing to do to start off. Have them check it under load. The thing is that there was no warning message of any kind to indicate a 'low battery' condition. Good luck Tom. The battery would be the easiest item to fix and have been known to cause "weird" issues.

Peter
Thanks Peter

A couple questions.
How many miles are on the Ex(plorer)?
Was it raining?
Has the serpentine belt ever been changed.

I ask because my '14 Ex had something similar happen a couple times (at least the engine hesitation while turning).
It happened a couple times in the rain while turning (accelerating).
One of the times it did it, I heard the belt squeak and then everything was back to normal.

I had somewhere around 80k miles.
I replaced the belt and has been fine ever since...only about 10k more miles.

A couple questions.
How many miles are on the Ex(plorer)?
Was it raining?
Has the serpentine belt ever been changed.

I ask because my '14 Ex had something similar happen a couple times (at least the engine hesitation while turning).
It happened a couple times in the rain while turning (accelerating).
One of the times it did it, I heard the belt squeak and then everything was back to normal.

I had somewhere around 80k miles.
I replaced the belt and has been fine ever since...only about 10k more miles.
It has only 31,000. Everything is original. Rain was not a factor

If it has the factory battery still, it is about due for replacement now, unless they put premium batteries in the Limiteds? I know in my '14 XLT they didn't even use a group 65, saved money on a smaller size and median capacity at that.

If it has the factory battery still, it is about due for replacement now, unless they put premium batteries in the Limiteds? I know in my '14 XLT they didn't even use a group 65, saved money on a smaller size and median capacity at that.
I’m guessing I would have the group 65 because the car has every option.

Peter
Had the battery checked and it’s fine. Will keep an eye out to see if it happens again

Back