Weird Flapping Noise Coming from Mid-Rear Right Side That Comes and Goes and Is Always the Same Frequency of Flaps | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird Flapping Noise Coming from Mid-Rear Right Side That Comes and Goes and Is Always the Same Frequency of Flaps

Metalface

Reaction score
City, State
East Coast US
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer XLT
Yes, I already searched.

Posting this for my friend who has a 2 door 2000 Explorer. V6 SOHC factory 16s, no notable modifications to chassis at all.

So, it sounds like the rear end (at least thats what I thought at first) starts to rhythmically grind or flap at speeds above 15mph.
He has discovered, and I have discovered that:
It's definitely not the gears in the rear diff.
It sounds more like its coming from the mid-rear and more to the passenger (right) side. (((Maybe a flapping exhaust shield??)))
He notices it happens almost all the time if he takes a left turn (find this significant,)
And I had him speed up and slow down once the noise started. The rate of the flapping did not increase or decrease. Which leads me to believe it is not a driveline issue.

I haven't gone under and wiggled anything (he is a real rusher when it comes to favors... lol...) and I can get a sound clip if anyone is interested.

I can't really compare it much to my 4 door 97 because I feel like if it is something actually flapping underneath (sounds like a flap flap flap and every time it hits whatever its hitting like a scrape on metal sort of noise. Perhaps what you'd hear from a rusty exhaust shield on rusty exhaust pipe lol) it wouldn't be the same wind forces under mine or anything, so I've got no clue.
Is that a common issue with the 2 doors? Perhaps the wind gets under just right?
Or is it actually definitely a driveline issue?

It actually drives very pleasantly. No wild vibrations and the previous owner kept up with it. So I don't think its the rear axle per se especially because the rate of flap is almost always the exact same and doesn't seem to change with RPM.

Will post updates, even if nobody can give me/him a magic answer, these threads are useful for people Googling for advice and help 👍

Edit: and noise is so consistent it really would lead you to believe that it is a spinning part, you know what I mean? I'm kind of stumped because I've never heard anything like that before.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The trans yoke of rear driveshaft may come into contact with the plastic rails on the fuel tank if the transmission mount is worn.

The trans yoke of rear driveshaft may come into contact with the plastic rails on the fuel tank if the transmission mount is worn.
You're an angel. I'll check that for sure.
Wouldn't it change speed with acceleration?

Seems like it's this? I think this is definitely the culprit. It was fully clipped before, I just wanted to see what sort of sound it would make if I tapped on it and it definitely sounds like the sound he hears and I hear. It is indeed right next to the boot, too, so... I think that would be the culprit

Attachments

• 20221229_101947_1.mp4
    7.5 MB

You can see a witness line on the driveshaft also. I bet a new trans mount and some duct tape will do it.
Great, I had a feeling I was seeing that same wear mark lol
Will post updates when solved just in case this thread ends up in a search result somewhere

Back