• Register Today It's free!

Weird glitch - 94 Explorer Sport

Backin72

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 Explorer Sport
A little cool this morning so I started the truck with the remote starter. Got in and went to Tim Hortons coffee shop. Turned off the ignition..........truck STILL running! Remote starter has a function where if you press the start button while the truck is running, you can take the key out and the truck will still run. So I tried depressing the brake to turn that function off but still running. I tried depressing the start button on the remote to see if that would reverse things. Nope. So I figured I better take it to a garage. Went to put the truck in reverse...........can't put it in any gear, won't move at all.

Well, might as well get a coffee and call CAA so I let the truck run and locked the doors. Got the coffee and came back out and used the remote to unlock the doors. Figured I'd try putting it in gear again. Put the key in the ignition, turned it to the run position, and tried putting it in gear. NO PROBLEM!

Went to a few places and the truck acted normally. So I'm figuring this is an electrical problem maybe something to do with the remote or the ignition switch. The only thing though that doesn't make sense to myself is the truck not wanting to go in gear. I doubt that's electrical. It's always shifted smoothly and didn't act abnormally after this little glitch. I always apply the brake pedal when putting the truck in gear, but I don't believe it's necessary for that year of truck to have to depress the brake pedal to put it into gear.

Weird. Any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have no experience with the remote starter option, but if shifting into gears requires depressing the brake pedal (possibly locking the gear shifter if the brake pedal isn't depressed) and deactivating the remote starter requires depressing the brake pedal perhaps there is a problem with your brake switch or there could be a secondary switch that might be faulty. I can't be sure of this though. It's just an UN-educated guess, in this instance.

I too am remote uneducated, but I can remove the key in mine & still drive the truck. Maybe try to wiggle the iginition & see if you can repeat the problem?

Sounds like either a brake switch issue or a wiring issue with the remote starter.

When you say it wouldn't go into reverse...are you sure that you didn't still have the key out of the ignition (or in but not turned to run) when you tried this? That's about the only thing that would make sense since the transmission interlock is mechanical and the remote start setup is electrical.

Also, you are correct, the '94 does not have a brake interlock to put it in gear.

I've had this problem at times also. But mine was related to the button on the remote sticking.

Ended up being a broken wire to the brake light switch which is located at the brake pedal(go figure! ;) ) Apparently this is a common problem on Fords.

Thanks for the input everyone! :thumbsup:

Back