• Register Today It's free!

Weird Hazard Circuit Question

High_Order1

Reaction score
City, State
near Oak Ridge, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Jack Bauer Edition
.... so, I am looking at an explorer the other day, and I notice the hazard flasher. You know, you click the button on the steering column, and all four turn signals flash together?

Well, I like custom projects that look stock, but not stock. So, I wondered, could you make the hazard lights flash in a different pattern?

First, I started looking in the CFR and SAE for rules on how the four ways have to flash (couldn't find anything... if you know something, let me know)

Then, I looked at the switch in my Ford Service DVD. I don't think you can mod the switch. If I can find a used one at the junkyard to take apart soon as it stops raining around here, I may revise that.

If I can't, to keep it semi stock, I think I will whack the stock switch, fill the hole with black silicone, and install a bezel-mount flasher switch. The one on the 2000 escape looks like a potential fit.

The question I have, is I realize that there is a single wire for each lamp. Will a body control module or something similar get pissed off if I inject 12 volts into the lamp wiring?

I plan on modifying a multi pattern headlamp flasher to cause the right and left sides to alternately flash in different patterns, and use diodes to prevent current from causing issues when the hazards are off, and the turn signal is activated.

I guess the other question is, is there anything I've overlooked?

Oh - no, I don't want to use a brake flasher system. I want the front turn signals to flash, too. Also, many states have laws about adding light systems to vehicles that are not authorized emergency vehicles. So, I don't want to add bulbs to the housings. Gotta stay as stock as possible, and just present a different flash pattern.

And, if you've gotten this far, and are still scratching your head and asking why, I just can't explain it. Sorry! :thumbsup:

-Shawn

dangit

Spoke too soon:

FMVSS 108 -

S5.5.5 The vehicular hazard warning signal operating unit on each
vehicle shall operate independently of the ignition or equivalent
switch, and when activated, shall cause to flash simultaneously
sufficient turn signal lamps to meet, as a minimum, the turn signal lamp
photometric requirements of this standard.

Back