weird intermittent shaking at highway speeds | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

weird intermittent shaking at highway speeds

mercmt

Reaction score
City, State
Blaine, Mn
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 mercury mountaineer
Ok my 2000 mountaineer 5.0 v8 is giving me problems. I just bought it. It's reasonably clean for a mn car. Has 177,500 miles on it. I just successfully fixed an overheating problem. I posted another thread about that. I changed the radiator, thermostat, and cap. At first it still overheated but after getting air out it is now running deadcenter on the temp guage.
Anyway, The vehicle had a check engine light on when I bought it. My friend has a code reader and he said it pointed towards the vapor canister vent solenoid. I located that in the back of the vehicle, removed it, and cleaned it. I would have just replaced it if I could have found one locally for a reasonable price. The problem is a shaking that occurs sometimes when I hit the brake pedal and sometimes when I am accelerating and usually going 70 or so. My friend thought that could be the engine missfiring due to the aformentioned code. So I will order one online and just replace it. But what else could cause this problem? a stuck caliper? or something in the suspension? It shakes fairly signifigantly then stops

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I forgot to mention that it also pulls to the right

OH yes. And after cleaning that valve I also got an O/D off light on the dashboard. that wen off after I turned the car off and started again

Change your pads and rotors. Warped rotors more than likely are rubbing the pads/calipers at a certain harmonic frequency, ie: speed (70 as mentioned). If it's noticeable when braking and pulls a certain direction it's almost certainly pads and/or rotors, and a wheel alignment may also be warranted. Check the inside of your rims for mud buildup as well. This can cause vibration at speed as it throws off the wheel's natural balance.

Change your pads and rotors. Warped rotors more than likely are rubbing the pads/calipers at a certain harmonic frequency, ie: speed (70 as mentioned). If it's noticeable when braking and pulls a certain direction it's almost certainly pads and/or rotors, and a wheel alignment may also be warranted. Check the inside of your rims for mud buildup as well. This can cause vibration at speed as it throws off the wheel's natural balance.

Thanks a lot. I will look into that

Check the tire itself as well to be sure the wheel isn't bent or have a broken belt/bubble in the tread. When the alignment is checked, have them also check the ball joints and tie rod ends for play.

Back