• Register Today It's free!

weird mirror switch problem...

ernzo

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Mercury Mountaineer
My power mirror switch went out so that while it partially worked, the far right and bottom quadrants did not. For example, on the drivers side, I can move the mirror up and out, but not down or in...

Passengers side is the same but reversed..

This happened suddenly rather than getting worse and worse...

Took it out, cleaned it, fooled with it, no dice, bought a used one.

Same issue! It is *possible* that the new (used) one is also bad but I kinda think not.

Checked the wires, everything looks completely tidy, like new!

Ideas? Been there done that?:rolleyes:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead..... but i am experiencing the exact same problem right now. maybe you found a solution?

Mine does this too, only both mirrors are limited to the same two directions, every one of these i get from a JY has different fail directions -/ mines a 92.

I know this is old, but I just fixed this issue on My 92 XLT. Ended up being a bad circuit trace. It prob corroded and then burned up when it got too bad. I happened to have a Conductive Nickel Trace pin in which all I had to do was to scratch some of the trace protectant off of the remaining trace near my contact to allow a good connection. I then wrote out a new trace with my pen and wiped away the excess, and allowed the new trace to dry. Put it back together and my mirrors work in all directions again.

I just did this 2 days ago, and I have been debating on whether or not I should do a write up with pics. This could basically apply to anyone with enough knowledge and guts to open switches down to the circuit board. Last I saw, a new power mirror switch costs about $80. My trace pen cost me about $10 and I can use it on many other issues with bad circuit traces.

Ok, so I took the switch off and dissembled it and cleaned everything...but no dice.....Hmmmm.....?

Do a write up, with pics! I'll read it. I'll take my switch apart this weekend to see if we had the same problem. I do recall some smoke, but the x didn't burn to the ground...so probably the same? Thanks for the info, can't wait to see the write up.

Back