Weird multiple electrical issues, not MFS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird multiple electrical issues, not MFS

02airride

Reaction score
City, State
NW Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Eddie Baurer Ex
Hello all,

I've been having a special kind of electrical issues w/ my 02 explorer for a while now, and think I would like to try & fix them, and any & all help is and will always be appreciated!!!

I will start off by saying that it is not the Multi-Function Switch (MFS), as I just changed it (Thanks Big Rondo for the write up), and the issue is still there. Maybe it is the light switch, but I hope someone can maybe help me out, before I buy one, and not need it, like the MFS (But at least I have a new clean one!!!). Here are some details:

When The truck is running everything is fine. If I turn the running lights on, all is good. Once the head lights, or fog lights are turned on, if I go to use the wipers on intermittent, they will skip a stage, meaning that when they first go to move, they flinch, then the next time go thru the full cycle, and repeat. If I put them on slow, they are really slow, and on fast, they seem like they are on the regular setting. Turn the lights off, and all is well.

Also, with the lights on, they seem fine, but with the brights on, the Passenger turn signal lights up on the dash, and the passenger head light / bright light is really dim. If I turn the right turn signal on, the back seems to be fine, but the front headlamp flashes with the signal.

As I figured I wanted to play around, and to give all the info I can, if I honk the horn, the right turn signal light on the cluster lights up with each beep. If I do it to many times in a row (3 or 4+), or hold the horn down (I tend to be an impatient driver at times), the engine dies (Tested this in the garage, not driving). The horn also sounds a little weaker while doing this. Again, turn the lights off, and viola, works perfectly.

I almost forgot, with just the lights on, the ABS light on the dash comes on. Turn the lights off, and the light goes off.

I think I have it all listed now, sorry for the long post, but just wanted to put it all out there to show what I have tried, and all the symptoms/problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

I had similar electrical issues with my '02 XLT. The dome lights would stay on until the battery saver feature turned them off, the accessory delay wasn't working, the driver side puddle light didn't work, the keypad on the door would set off the alarm when I pressed it, the door ajar light would flash and beep at highway speeds, the radio would shut off as soon as I turned the key off, the alarm would beep twice when I armed it. Recently all 4 windows stopped working. Most recently the driver door lock actuator stopped working.

A lot of electrical issues can be traced back to broken/damaged wire(s) in the boot between the body and the driver's door. I found 3 broken wires and repaired them. The thin black ground wire was broken and after repairing it all was back to normal. When the windows stopped working, I repaired the thick black ground wire and the windows now work like a champ. I had to repair the pink/black wire to fix the driver door lock actuator.

Here is the thread for removing the door panel: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=303524

Here is a great thread for checking for broken/damaged wires, thanks to synyster for this awesome write-up: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums//showthread.php?t=270081

Unfortunately the pictures are no longer available in the above thread. IIRC, I believe I unwrapped the wires enough to gain access. When I have gone searching in there I had an idea of what wire I was looking for. I located the the wire I was looking for and gently tugged on that wire on the door side. The wire was pulled toward me and out of the harness. I then went inside the vehicle and gently tugged on the the wire I was looking for and was able to pull it inside the vehicle. I then spliced a length of wire to the 2 ends, completing the circuit. I then gently pulled the excess into the door.

Be sure to take your time when looking for broken/damaged wire(s). Check all the wires for breaks/damage. When you think you're done looking, look again, and again, and again. A bright flashlight can be very helpful.

Thanks. I was hoping not to have to do that, but it is what it is.

I opened the door panel, and with the boot moved, I found a cut wire. I was so happy, hoping to have it completed in less than an hour.

Unfortunately, once splicing a wire in, I still have the same issue. I put the window switch back on, just in case that was the issue with it not being right after the splice was made, and to test before putting it all back together.

I continued to 'tug' on each wire where the boot is located, keeping them separated with one hand in the door, and using the right hand to tug each wire individually. No other wires 'pull' toward me unfortunately.

I will go and try it a couple more times as to what is said that after you look a couple times, and don't find it, look a couple more because you probably missed it, but any other ideas on where to look for a 'cut' wire or any other idea's would be greatly appreciated.

Ground!!!

Well, after checking all the wires yet again, nothing, just the one broken for the Passenger rear window (Yellow w/ 2 black stripes) I decided to look further under the dash. Nothing

After a couple hours, I decided to give it another go .... pulling the headlight out, unplugging to see if I could get it to stop, trial & error type things to get more input.

Then, alas, I was looking at the ground wires by the battery. These were done by others from back when I had the 'experts' install some of my stereo equipment to make it a cleaner install than I would ... well, one of the factory ground wires that they remounted, the screw was semi loose, and obviously not making the best of connections. So, I found me a new sheet metal screw, and viola, no flashing light with turn signal, or any of the other issues (so far, will have to do more testing after dinner) ...

So it appears, moral of this issue, was the ground, and for me, the easiest that I could have fixed. But, in the end, I did find another issue I didn't realize was there, and that should take care of my rear window!!!!

Thanks for the Help again Big Rondo!!!! You do know your explorers!!!

Mike

glad you found your solution airride! Reading your initial post, i was about to suggest checking the grounds. At least you found it and it was an easy fix. A buddy has an 02 Jetta which has been giving him a germany-sized headache with the grounds and electrical faults. He spent about $1500 with shops trying to chase down the problem, and finally it was found to be a ground. 50 cents worth of wire and screw, and it's causing that much headache. So far I've been lucky for the past 16 years. My last electrical gremlin was in 1998.

Happy motoring!

Back