• Register Today It's free!

Weird noise when backing up...

Supergus1

Reaction score
City, State
Buda
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Explorer Sport
2017 Sport. The other day I was backing out of a parking spot and I heard the strangest noise. The best way I can describe it is- imagine backing up and running over a clump of hard dried mud, and it breaks under the tire. I know that sounds odd but when it happened that's the first thing I thought of. It has happened twice this week. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is it a one-time noise that you hear just when you start backing up or is it continuous?

Peter

It's a one time event.
Started doing it more often so I traded it for a '16 Wrangler. Dealership gave me $3,000 less than what I paid for it. Really bummed, I wanted to love my Sport. Love the ride, handling, power and comfort but I'm not willing to go down the ptu/trans replacement rabbit hole. Oh well...

That does sound like the early sign of a PTU failure. If the fluid was never touched its the likely culprit..

The wrangler certainly more fun off road but its almost 100hp shy of the Explorer Sport. I imagine gets the same gas mileage maybe worse with big tires.

Unfortunately, the 2016 Wrangler like most Jeep models/years has seldom been rated as good or better.

Peter

Unfortunately, the 2016 Wrangler like most Jeep models/years has seldom been rated as good or better.

Peter
While that may be true on paper, the real world often times reveals different results. For example, 2011-2019 Ford Explorers getting good ratings for reliability, yet here I am..
Also I've had Wranglers, CJ's, Cherokees and Grand Cherokees, not to mention two Libertys. The only one we ever had issues with was an '01 Cherokee. I do admit though that the Mopar oem brake components leave a lot to be desired.

Back