weird problems after 4x4 control module replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

weird problems after 4x4 control module replacement

97exploderXLT

Reaction score
City, State
Newport, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 explorer xlt
97 exploder xlt, 190100 miles, 5r55e, 4x4. all stock.

so i read up on some of the common problems of the controltrac crap and i saw that the control module behind the radio is one of the bigger ones (if i was reading correctly) and it showed the symptoms of a bad or going module. 4x4 not engaging properly, 4low not working properly, random 4x4 engagement etc.

so i went and found a known working module out of another 97 with a blown motor and switched it out with mine and it worked for about 2.5 seconds so i unplugged the tcase again(i had it unplugged before to avoid issued and it was full-time 2wd.
now, every time i start the vehicle it says im in 4low and it goes off after about 5-10 miles of driving, afterwards it flashes the 4x4 dash indicators for the malfunction code and then it flashed the O/D light several times. it doesnt seem to have power in 1st or 2nd gear and it doesnt seem to want to shift out of 1st half the time(it will hold 2000ish rpms through about 25-30mph and then slam into second).

before i unplugged the tcase it would feel like the drivers side hub is permanently locked, it would clunk and crack and whine and if i turned it would lock up and stop the truck almost completely. and in a straight line the front end and tcase would whine like it was stuck in 4x4 and this is even when the selector is in AUTO.

does anyone have any ideas? are the control modules coded for a specific ECU? i know Nissan's have specifically coded ECU's for certain parts of the car and parts from a different car may not work without switching the ecu's.

any suggestions or ideas would be great! ive searched but the symptoms ive found are all for separate problems and dont happen all at once. am i looking at a coincidence of somewhat catastrophic failures? lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone...? This is my DD and my only running vehicle and id rather not have something major happen going down the interstate with my 7 month old daughter and pregnant wife in it. Any ideas or help would be appreciated...

well... does someone care enough to at least post up the trans and tcase and pcm wiring diagrams so i can try and fix this damn thing? i cant find them anywhere, even wasted $30 on a chiltons that didnt have them.

A good scanner with a data stream would be a big help.

Start with these, sorry they are so big but at least they are easy to read.

Edit: I dont know what happen to the pictures I linked too but these are not what was there yesterday. I will try to upload them again soon..

lmao it happens. i need an all-data account lol

Here ya go, these should stick around.

Tcase3_zps8d846643.gif

Tcase1_zps13496eb6.gif

Tcase2_zps17f777e2.gif

thanks bud! i used a combination of these diagrams and the brown wire mod and all my issues went away. and let me just say 2 low is awesome for urban crawling ;)

hi i also change the GEM and 4x4 have problems with have told me that after changing these modules must be configured with vcm ford, I still try to get someone to do it if they do and no notice changes

Back