Weird problems. What controls torque converter lock up ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Weird problems. What controls torque converter lock up ?

Explorer_PL

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rockland County, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
06EB V8
Last week my car went into the limp mode after kicking and jerking few times on the highway. It was somewhat violent and I was convinced it was something with the tranny. I had P2104, and since I had an old throttle body with the sensor in my garage from my old engine, I swapped it. It never did it again but it still jerks and occasionally will kick when I start the car and put it in D or R, as if the torque converter is locking and unlocking .
It threw P101 once after that but I know it is not MAF sensor.
I put a new Motorcraft torque converter 6 months/ 10k miles ago so I do not believe it is bad already. I am looking more for a sensor that locks and unlocks it. When you come to a stop and depress the brake pedal, I believe there is a solenoid that controls that. Also, when you slow down, it should also disengage the tranny to help you slow down.
Any tranny experts here for 6r60 ?
Thanks

I thought that it was just a solenoid on the valve block that controls the line pressure going to the converter that allows for lockup/disengagement. Maybe this is the part that is worn? http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2677

I believe the valve body is my problem, or just that one spring. I'll probably need to take it to Ford to run diagnostic and read the transmission codes. My reader does not show any codes, but after few kicks today, the emission readiness light is orange, so there are some errors.

I think, I am looking at new mechatronic assembly. From what I read, it needs to be programmed with the vehicle, so even if I replace it myself, it may not work.

Well, I guess after 213 k miles it was expected :)

Back